What's new

Entware unable to replace the Merlin drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Turgut Kalfaoglu

Regular Contributor
I made an exact copy of my merlin drive to replace an aging drive, down to the label name, and even made the UUID's same.
Turned off router, replaced the drive, but when the machine restarts, the new drive is ignored..not even fdisk -l sees it..
any ideas why?

You can't fool amtm, Diversion, etc. :)

Nothing is 'an exact copy' when a physical form factor is involved.

Time to format the drive, the JFFS partition, and start fresh. If you want the scripts working and the router/network as stable as possible in the shortest amount of time.

If fdisk isn't showing the drive then it isn't being detected as a valid storage device. Reformatting the device, jffs, etc. won't change that.

Look for kernel messages in the router's syslog related to "scsi" and "sd". Is it even being detected at all?

You can't fool amtm, Diversion, etc. :)

Nothing is 'an exact copy' when a physical form factor is involved.

Time to format the drive, the JFFS partition, and start fresh. If you want the scripts working and the router/network as stable as possible in the shortest amount of time.
My Entware start script does not rely on device name, device form, UUID or some magic.
It simply looks for the opkg binary in a folder called *entware.

TADAA.. found the problem.. if I leave the USB setting to 3.0 it does not see that drive. When I switch it to 2.0, then the drive is found.. I guess it does not auto-negotiate between 3 and 2 then?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!