What's new

Unable to upload Asuswrt-Merlin on RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Beata

New Around Here
I've just bought RT-AX88U. After installing Asuswrt-Merlin the router turned into a brick. The Wi-Fi networks are not broadcast though both LED lights are on. It seems that LAN ports are also dead. WAN light is red. I tried powering off and on several times but it didn't help, so I used the firmware restoration tool to recover the router.
I've tried different version of Merlin and official firmware and what I noticed is that the router works perfectly fine only with official ones. Uploading whichever version of Merlin firmware ends up with failure.
Has anybody meet similar behavior? Or does ASUS prevent from using unofficial firmware?

I installed Merlin FW on my RT-AX88U the first day I got it, and many people have been successful (you are actually the first I've seen to report this as an issue - although I don't read or recall EVERY post).

Have you tried a full reset BEFORE uploading the firmware? Have you tried 384.18 (IMO, is the most stable for this model right now, although I'm sure you will get other opinions on that)? Have you tried a full reset AFTER uploading the firmware? Are you sure you are loading the correct file and have verified the checksum and/or downloaded it again? Are you sure the router isn't actually working fine but is just at a different ip address?

Merlin firmware is officially allowed on the ASUS routers that he releases for.

I own two AX88U and have installed others for friends and family. Never experienced anything like that. The only thing similar was an almost 10min wait after I updated the firmware until the router was 'conditioned' to the Merlin firmware. This was with an early alpha release of the 386 codebase.

There can definitely be delays on boot relating to autochannel selection and other settings.

I've just bought RT-AX88U. After installing Asuswrt-Merlin the router turned into a brick. The Wi-Fi networks are not broadcast though both LED lights are on. It seems that LAN ports are also dead. WAN light is red. I tried powering off and on several times but it didn't help, so I used the firmware restoration tool to recover the router.
I've tried different version of Merlin and official firmware and what I noticed is that the router works perfectly fine only with official ones. Uploading whichever version of Merlin firmware ends up with failure.
Has anybody meet similar behavior? Or does ASUS prevent from using unofficial firmware?
Beata,
I assume when you use Asus Firmware Restoration Tool, you are restoring to Merlin's 386.1_beta4. Also you may need to wait for a while (like 10-15 minutes) for things to get settle so that you can start configuring.

See the following, hopefully is relevant to you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!