What's new

Unable to write (FTP Sharing) - N56U with Padava FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tigerman82

New Around Here
I have Asus RT-N56U router with the current Padavan firmware installed. I was looking for a NAS storage solution and thought about using the USB ports of the router to connect a portable HDD as wireless backup/external storage solution. I tested this with a USB flash drive. However, through FTP, I couldn't get write permissions. Through Samba everything is working fine although the transfer speeds are moderate (using a USB2 flash drive and 802.11n connection in OS X, the average transfer speed of a 2gig file from mac to drive was about 5.5Mb/s).

Here's what I did. I enabled FTP server with "Access with account". I then went to the AiDisk wizard, selected "Admin Rights" with user name and password, created a name for the DDNS server (asuscomm) and finished. I then went to "FTP Share" settings and made sure "admin" had R/W rights. This didn't work (I accessed the USB drive via browser and various file managers, and didn't have write permissions). I then read something negative about the asuscomm DDNS service, so, in AiDisk wizard, I created an account with another DDNS service, NO-IP, with ddns.net ending. This did not solve the issue. I also tried to enable "Access FTP Server from Wan" from Firewall settings, but it did not help. Finally, I read somewhere that you shouldn't create folders via the Asus web interface. However, even if I created a folder with the drive attached to my Mac, I didn't get write permissions via FTP.

I have to questions:

1) How do I get the FTP Sharing to work so that I will have write permissions and can copy files to the drive via FTP?

2) Is the Asus File Sharing worth it or should I just buy a dedicated NAS storage or just do it the old fashioned way and attach an external drive to my Mac?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!