What's new

Unbound unbound/WAN settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have the GUI enabled but only the one page of stats is showing. I tried Mogsy's recommendation:

unbound_manager advanced
ox log-replies yes

but they still aren't populated. Does anybody know how to populate the GUI with stats? Thanks

Read the release thread, please. The information provided there is excellent.

You need Graphical Statistics GUI installed and patience. You won't see charts right away, they need input data first.

You may want to have some more reliable USB storage than USB stick when running custom scripts with logging. I don't know what you currently use. Threads with information what works better and is more reliable are available on SNB Forums. One of my suggestions is here:

Good luck!

You may want to have some more reliable USB storage than USB stick when running custom scripts with logging. I don't know what you currently use. Threads with information what works better and is more reliable are available on SNB Forums. One of my suggestions is here:

Good luck!

I did see that post previously. Looks like good hardware. Thanks

What you are doing is volunteer home sysadmin job with data control obsession. It happens when you have access to tools or hardware you never had before. I had a 200lbs home lab years ago with rack mounted UPS, Xeon storage server, Xeon gateway, big a** managed switch, etc. It was pretty, it was noisy (working, doing something, you hear it), many blinking LED lights, it was chewing data crazy fast and analizing every packet in and out. After I finished playing with it it was replaced by hardware fitting in a banker's box and doing exactly the same thing. I'm not interested in speed testing and monitoring anymore. So I know why you are doing it from my own experence.

Actually, I'm not too concerned about the pros and cons of Unbound and Dnsmasq. I guess their functions are similar and the differences are not significant. One is a black box, while the other has beautiful add-on charts. Perhaps everyone has their own preferences for these tools, just like I enjoy some excellent add-on authors. The hard work of these developers ensures that users have an excellent user experience, spending precious time developing simple, intuitive, and stable chart tools. For many users, simple and easy-to-use tools are indeed more accessible and applicable.

One is a black box

See here about Dnsmasq options:

Perhaps everyone has their own preferences for these tools

I think the perfect product for you is called Arista NG Firewall. It's also quite user friendly.

1709767481267.png

Thank you for your recommendation, but I will only use tools created by the AMTM user community. In AMTM, the software package management and plugin management features allow users to conveniently install and manage various extensions, which have been carefully developed by predecessors and extensively tested and feedback provided by enthusiastic netizens. The selection of these plugin software has been carefully chosen, and is very suitable for adjusting and optimizing the operation of existing routers. It's easy to install and use, and I'm already very satisfied.

It's easy to install and use

I know what AMTM is. I have tested every script there with exception of some new recent additions. I know what most scripts do, basics of how they do it and what they interact with. You have two scripts on your signature list potentially causing stability issues, one causing GUI glitches, and at least two unsupported and unaware of 388 firmware changes. Also your 10GB swap file is practically useless. I just asked why you need so many and I have the answer - you like graphs. This is enough. I also gave you some suggestions for more, if you are interested, including for your Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

I know what AMTM is. I have tested every script there with exception of some new recent additions. I know what most scripts do, basics of how they do it and what they interact with. You have two scripts on your signature list potentially causing stability issues, one causing GUI glitches, and at least two unsupported and unaware of 388 firmware changes. Also your 10GB swap file is practically useless. I just asked why you need so many and I have the answer - you like graphs. This is enough. I also gave you some suggestions for more, if you are interested, including for your Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

Okay, I'm very glad that you can assist me in diagnosis and identifying potential issues. Could you please explain in detail two possible scripts that could lead to system stability problems? I may not have spent enough time keeping up with the latest developments of each package, so I need your guidance and advice as a senior.

Additionally, my 128GB SSD is just a storage device from a retired PC because its storage capacity is large enough. I only used it to install plugin packages without any other special purposes. However, more than 90% of the remaining space on this SSD , which seems a bit wasteful. I allocated the largest 10GB as a swap file to ensure the proper operation of the plugin software, and since there is a lot of remaining space, I don't feel it's a pity.

How did you get the charts to work? What settings/config? Thanks

It is installed through AMTM, with the path being amtm > 7 > 6.

I've only installed it without making any configurations.

1709784375904.png

After successfully installing the Graphical Statistics GUI Add-on TAB, simply log back into the router's WebUI to access the add-on page, where the statistics graphs for Unbound will be displayed. Please note that after the initial installation, you need to manually click the 'Update Stats' button to generate the charts immediately. Subsequently, the system will automatically update the statistics graphs in the background at regular intervals, keeping you informed about the latest data for Unbound.

1709786144972.png

Last edited: