What's new

UniFi Access Point Placement - New Build

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CC268

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

I've used UniFi's Design Center to place 2 APs in various places. The first AP in the Living Room will not be moving at all since they have already determined the pre-wired location. I do have control over the second AP though. I was thinking the main hallway would be a great place since it adequately covers both guest bedrooms. I've attached the floor plan and a photo of how I have it currently configured on the UniFi Design Center.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 9.28.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 9.25.46 AM.png

the clients are not going to want to disconnect if those values hold up. No Cyan areas on the plot.

What band is that strength plot for ?

place at the BR2 doorway and reduce power.

5Ghz band will penetrate one to two sheetrock walls easily.
A better choice might be individual room 5Ghz only wall/outlet mount APs with reduced power for each bedroom and other weaker areas away from the main AP in the Great room. Certainly, put CAT6 termination at the extremities.

the clients are not going to want to disconnect if those values hold up. No Cyan areas on the plot.

What band is that strength plot for ?

place at the BR2 doorway and reduce power.

5Ghz band will penetrate one to two sheetrock walls easily.
A better choice might be individual room 5Ghz only wall/outlet mount APs with reduced power for each bedroom and other weaker areas away from the main AP in the Great room. Certainly, put CAT6 termination at the extremities.
That’s the 5GHz plot. Maybe I really only need the one AP they already include? It would certainly save me a lot of money. I like the UniFi product. Any specific wall mount/outlet mount APs you would recommend?

Like I said, all the rooms including the garage and back patio will have at least 2 CAT6 Ethernet. One thing I haven’t considered is location for security camera, but to be honest I may just go with a Ring peep hole camera and call it good. I feel like this home network thing can get out of control and expensive real quick

i don't have any experience with these, but there have been several threads about these or similar in the forums.
There may be an AX version. This is just a quick google.

i don't have any experience with these, but there have been several threads about these or similar in the forums.
There may be an AX version. This is just a quick google.

Cool. Maybe that’s the better option over the second ceiling mounted AP

just make sure you can turn off the 2.4 Ghz if not needed and have control on the 5 Ghz power.
Ability to utilize VLANs is a plus.

Those are powered by POE. So either the switch has to support the correct voltage and current needs or you can use individual power injectors after the switch in your wiring closet.

just make sure you can turn off the 2.4 Ghz if not needed and have control on the 5 Ghz power.
Ability to utilize VLANs is a plus.

Those are powered by POE. So either the switch has to support the correct voltage and current needs or you can use individual power injectors after the switch in your wiring closet.
Sounds good! Thanks

I don't see an issue with this setup at all. Those maps don't account for walls, furniture, materials etc..... You could move that 2nd AP further into the Foyer. Then you can turn down the 2.4 ghz to 15-18dbm. My house has a transition of -55 to -60dBm and it works great. 500mbps is the slowest my Wifi-6 devices test at anywhere in my house. I have 55+ devices with all my smart switches and IoT's on one VLAN without issue.

I don't see an issue with this setup at all. You could move that 2nd AP further into the Foyer. Then you can turn down the 2.4 ghz to 15-18dbm. My house has a transition of -55 to -60dBm and it works great. 500mbps is the slowest my Wifi-6 devices test at anywhere in my house. I have 55+ devices with all my smart switches and IoT's on one VLAN without issue.
I’m gonna have them pre-wire an AP in the hallway between Bedroom 2 and 3. I think that’s probably the best way to go.

I’m gonna have them pre-wire an AP in the hallway between Bedroom 2 and 3. I think that’s probably the best way to go.
Just be aware that will weaken the propagation into your garage and the yard on that side of the house.

Just be aware that will weaken the propagation into your garage and the yard on that side of the house.
Nothing on that side yard of the house over there except my trash cans lol.

The garage I can just add a plug in AP. Talked with a home network installer on the phone and he was very helpful. He agreed that would be a good spot.

Nothing on that side yard of the house over there except my trash cans lol.

The garage I can just add a plug in AP. Talked with a home network installer on the phone and he was very helpful. He agreed that would be a good spot.
So then that would be adding a 3rd one? ok, enjoy your new place.

What brand equipment they are going to install?
Oh we didn’t discuss that yet I was just getting his opinion on how to best outfit the house during the build phase. House won’t be done for another 5-6 months.

Keep in mind UniFi Design Center may not give you even close coverage estimation, if completely different specs APs are used.

Keep in mind UniFi Design Center may not give you even close coverage estimation, if completely different specs APs are used.
Of course. I wanted to install a UniFi system years ago in my condo and I just never did it. I really like their product so I will likely go that route. I know the home network installer I talked to does a lot of UniFi installs. He also does another brand (can’t remember the name), but it’s significantly more expensive than the UniFi stuff. Think it’s more small business centric.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!