What's new

unknown mac address on network - unable to identify

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chenks

Regular Contributor
have found this weird device connected to my WIFI network, and can't seem to identify it (it's not a known device to me).
i haven't added any new devices, and my wifi password is so secure it's unlikely to be a rogue device connected.

i've checked against mac address lookup database but it seems to have no match either.
it seems to be able to connect to both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz at various times of the day.

anyone idea ideas?

Screenshot 2022-02-11 160813.jpg

Mobile phones have started using randomised "private" MAC addresses which can result in this sort of entry.

have found this weird device connected to my WIFI network, and can't seem to identify it (it's not a known device to me).
i haven't added any new devices, and my wifi password is so secure it's unlikely to be a rogue device connected.

i've checked against mac address lookup database but it seems to have no match either.
it seems to be able to connect to both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz at various times of the day.

anyone idea ideas?

View attachment 39397

Random MAC by an Apple client(?)

OE

it's not that, we have our mobile devices set to not randomise on this network.

this is a new device that has just appeared.

both iphones in the house are listed in the clients list.

it's not that, we have our mobile devices set to not randomise on this network.

this is a new device that has just appeared.

both iphones in the house are listed in the clients list.

I wonder if you can block its IP address at the router and then see which client/user complains about losing Internet access, or some such forced error to find it.

OE

I had this happen recently, it turned out to be an Amazon Kindle randomizing its MAC.

I had this happen recently, it turned out to be an Amazon Kindle randomizing its MAC.

the only devices I have that can do that I have set to not randomise

the only devices I have that can do that I have set to not randomise
Worth a shot since it looks like a locally administered address. The Kindle that did this didn’t used to have that functionality it’s from 2015. So I was baffled initially. Could be someone spoofing a MAC.

As has been suggested use the wireless MAC filter block the device on both radios and see if anyone complains or if then another unknown device shows up meaning it might be a device randomizing its MAC address.

If that doesn't work next step is changing WiFi password which is is PITA.

Just change the SSID and rejoin the devices. If the MAC still appears then it's something you're using. If it's not there then the problem is solved.

Also, hide your SSID from broadcasting so random devices can't just click the name and try to join.