What's new

Unraid equivalent?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mamexp

Occasional Visitor
Does anyone know another project thats similar to UnRaid technology? I have been searching but found none available. I believe the key feature that makes UnRaid unique is the expansion capability with redundancy (1 parity drive can support 18 data drive ). So it can grow as your data grows (just by adding new drive when the array is becoming full)

Altho the performance isnt great but i find its perfect suited for media server. I'm expanding my media very rapidly right now so i'm building another NAS as media NAS only. I'm just looking for all possible solution there. My current NAS is just a Ubuntu Server and its doing great (also serving img for diskless HTPC).

Any inputs are very well appreciated.

I have experienced doing away with the big block device idea on a low-maintenance, low-perf, fault-tolerant linux server. I have used the aufs module in rw mode to stack-up drives. Aufs is normally used to overlay rw (ram) over ro supports (cd-roms, cf cards), but this works fine with 6 hdds in my case. The effect is to obtain big directories, populated with the files of each drive. When a drive dies, its files are lost, but the others are still there.
I'm not sure I'd recommend aufs for an FS heavily used for writing, though. My version, 1 vr old or so, had some trouble managing the free space in every layers. Didn't really matter in my case: video/music/data file server, mostly ro.

Of course you are advised to take some backup measure. As with (un)Raid, anyway.