What's new

Untangle on GIG Internet Connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
Is anybody running Untangle on a GIG connection? What does it take to support gig internet which is snappy with response time? Are processors fast enough now? What do you show on a Speedtest?

Is anybody running Untangle on a GIG connection? What does it take to support gig internet which is snappy with response time? Are processors fast enough now? What do you show on a Speedtest?

I signed up for a home license for Untangle in May 2017. At the time my Internet connection was Xfinity Blast which gave me a 250Mbs download and 10Mbs upload. I installed Untangle on a Zotac CI323 nano and it performed flawlessly.

In December of 2017 I upgraded my internet to Xfinity 1 Gbs download and 35 Mbs upload. I have to be honest and say that the 1G download is overkill for my home usage but I did need the extra upload capacity. At the time I didn't have any device that was capable of testing for that high a download speed but I was able to get a couple of devices that went as high as 450Mbs. Upload speed is consistently overprovisioned at around 42Mbs.

I borrowed my daughters laptop and plugged it into my network switch directly off the Untangle server and it also peaked out around the 450Mbs mark.

In January I replaced the Zotac CI323 with a Qotom Q355G4. I bought the barebones system on Amazon and added my own memory (4G) and an SSD. Installed Untangle and reran the tests. Upload is the same but download was close to 900Mbs.

I'm running the Web Filter, Virus Blocker and Firewall Apps and also have a OpenVPN Server hosted on the box. Daily reports show that CPU load is minimal.

I'm very happy with the setup. I'm using a Motorola MB8600 modem. Current uptime for the Untangle box is 96 days. It would probably have been longer but I shut things down to install a UPS (which has also worked great and kept my network running during a couple of power cuts).

As I said upfront I'm really not taxing the download bandwidth but from what I see on the Untangle forums it shouldn't be a problem for the Qotom box.

It is probably worth pointing out that the Zotac box was not overtaxed from a CPU perspective. It had 2 Realtek 1G NICs which some people point to as a potential problem, but I suspect the problem was that the Zotac box did not have sufficient PCIe lanes to handle the throughput.

Hope this helps.
Mike

I am running Charter Gig on an untangle u25x appliance. The u25x is a Qotom Q410S mini with Celeron 3215U, 2GB ram and 32GB mSATA SSD, with current version of untangle installed and configured.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180729172034&SearchText=Q410S

I am running the default apps which is most of them. Speed tests are 940Mbps.

Edit: When I use just the untangle virus protection application on a real download (not speedtest) the speeds drop to about 400 Mbps. Full speed with no applications in use. Untangle tech support says this is typical for this particular appliance and that a u150 appliance or equivalent would be needed for gig speeds with some of the applications enabled.

https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Performance_Guide

(Oddly, the virus protection application will pass a speed test with full speeds but throttle a download of this Spectrum test file to 400Mbps.)

http://orldp-speedtest-01.noc.bhn.net/5gig.iso

Last edited: