What's new

Unbound Update for Unbound

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New2This

is there any chance of getting an update for Unbound, I see the latest is 1.16.3.....amtm current version is 1.16.1

@Martineau

is there any chance of getting an update for Unbound, I see the latest is 1.16.3.....amtm current version is 1.16.1

@Martineau
What is the available Entware version?
Code:
opkg list | grep -E "unbound.*-" | grep -v ast

Code:
libunbound - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound library including 'libevent', 'libmnl', and 'libpthread' to better handle large networks with heavy query loads. Options are available to custom trim Unbound for smaller targets.
unbound-anchor - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound anchor utility.
unbound-checkconf - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound DNS configuration checker utility.
unbound-control - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound control utility.
unbound-control-setup - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound control setup utility.
unbound-daemon - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound daemon including 'libevent', 'libmnl', and 'libpthread' to better handle large networks with heavy query loads. Options are available under libraries/network/libunbound to custom trim Unbound for smaller targets.
unbound-host - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound DNS lookup utility.

Code:
libunbound - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound library including 'libevent', 'libmnl', and 'libpthread' to better handle large networks with heavy query loads. Options are available to custom trim Unbound for smaller targets.
unbound-anchor - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound anchor utility.
unbound-checkconf - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound DNS configuration checker utility.
unbound-control - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound control utility.
unbound-control-setup - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound control setup utility.
unbound-daemon - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound daemon including 'libevent', 'libmnl', and 'libpthread' to better handle large networks with heavy query loads. Options are available under libraries/network/libunbound to custom trim Unbound for smaller targets.
unbound-host - 1.16.1-1 - This package contains the Unbound DNS lookup utility.
That's the exact same as I get. I'm still showing 1.16.1-1 as well.

The person to request the version bump from is actually @ryzhov_al, one of the people maintaining/porting Entware.
Get thee to the GitHub and make a PR

what does the .3 version bring that this current one needs in your opinion?

This is not for everyone, but if you have skills you can compile Unbound yourself. I was in this situation about 2 years ago. Since I also have Synology NAS I decided to host my own Unbound in a docker conatiner. I will never go back.

I ran Unbound for a little while on a Rpi 4 running Raspbian. I missed the ease of unbound_manager and went back to running on my AC88U.
IMHO, the ease of unbound_manager is worth being a little behind in the release cadence of Unbound.

I never understood "the ease" explanation. Unbound has such rich commands and documentation that I cannot explain why you would even need simpler approach. About the updates... if you care about security you want to be on most current versions, especially for DNS server. Important CVE's should be applied immediately, not weeks or months later.

Also, the problem with coding a layer (Menu) on to of Unbound or for that matter any utilities/programs is that it robs you from learning and debugging if issues do happen. You also need to keep this updated as Unbound adds new commands and functionality. This is unnecessary.