What's new

Update netatalk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bizzle

New Around Here
The most current stable version of netatalk 3.1.x but the last changelogs mentioning it in merlin is 3.0.x.

Is there a command I can use to determine the exact version?
Also, is there a howto in order to update the netatalk modules?

Is the best method to recompile merlin from scratch with the updated code or to install the updated netatalk as an external module?

You would have to recompile the firmware with your updated version, making sure to carry any customization Asus might have done on top of the original source code.

It's version 3.0.5, as shown by the name of the folder containing the source code.

NetAFP's netatalk is a bit complicated with their licensing - it's available as open-source, but it's licensed... it's weird, I know...

Makes it hard to move it forward in releases - Asus would have to update their agreement with NetAFP to distribute...

From what I can see, it's a GPLv2 license, so I don't see how they could require any particular agreement.

From what I can see, it's a GPLv2 license, so I don't see how they could require any particular agreement.

they altered the deal with a change to the license - I forget just when, but it was just about time for TimeMachine emulation to blow up on many 3rd parties...

they altered the deal with a change to the license - I forget just when, but it was just about time for TimeMachine emulation to blow up on many 3rd parties...

If they did, it's not either on their website, neither in the source code - both refer to GPLv2.

Thank you for the responses.

I tried to compile asuswrt-merlin with netatalk-3.1.8 (on Debian jessie) but it keeps failing when it gets to:

checking for Berkeley DB headers in ~/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/router/db-4.8.30/build_unix/include/[...]

configure: error: Berkeley DB library required but not found!

The include folder is not there and now I am stuck.

Is anyone else interested in updating netatalk? We can work together to trouble shoot how to get the build environment to recognize where berkley db is located.