What's new

Update Samba to 4.9?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gdisaac

New Around Here
First of all, I'd love to thank the Merlin devs for all the work you've done to make the Merlin firmware a reality. I've used it for a number of years and it's fantastic.

Is there any reason that Samba has not been updated to the most recent release version? Samba 3.6 was last updated in February of 2015. (Source: https://www.samba.org/samba/history/)

If no serious issues with upgrading to Samba 4.x exist, could it be updated in subsequent releases of the Merlin firmware?

Thanks for all that you do!

Is there any reason that Samba has not been updated to the most recent release version?

Because Samba 4.x is a bloated pig requiring multiple megabytes of flash space, and its cross-compile system is a nightmare to work with, requiring that you hand feed it pre-configured answer files that will vary between platforms. I tried twice to look into it, and gave up both times.

The Samba developers have shown no interest in making Samba more cross-compile friendly, and slimmer to fit better in embedded devices with limited flash and RAM. When asked about it, their answer has always been: "Feel free to provide us with patches, because we're not gonna work on it".

In short, they are more interested in competing with Windows Server than providing a solution for low-powered embedded devices.

Because Samba 4.x is a bloated pig requiring multiple megabytes of flash space, and its cross-compile system is a nightmare to work with, requiring that you hand feed it pre-configured answer files that will vary between platforms. I tried twice to look into it, and gave up both times.

The Samba developers have shown no interest in making Samba more cross-compile friendly, and slimmer to fit better in embedded devices with limited flash and RAM. When asked about it, their answer has always been: "Feel free to provide us with patches, because we're not gonna work on it".

In short, they are more interested in competing with Windows Server than providing a solution for low-powered embedded devices.
Thank you for this very concise explanation!

Don't butter it up, tell us how you really feel! :p