What's new

update the new version 386.7 and every thing destroy AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asusrouterlover

Regular Contributor
After I update the version of 386.7 every thing get destroyed Vpn not work WIFI not stable Router slow performance . do not update and think twice befor update

Did you perform a dirty upgrade (i.e., NOT reset to factory defaults after the upgrade and manually reconfigure)? Dirty upgrades are always a roll of the dice.

And why isn't this is the Merlin forum?

A dirty upgrade is when after the upgrade, you do NOT reset the router to factory defaults. You just continue to use the existing settings in nvram, use the AddOn's you already had installed, etc. In order to prevent the kinds of issues you're experiencing, you should (ideally) set the router to factory defaults *before* the upgrade, install the new firmware, and once again, do a factory reset. Finally, manually reconfigure the router the way you want.

IOW, you don't want to carry over anything from the prior firmware. You want a clean, fresh install and default settings to work from. The temptation by many is to avoid the hassle of this approach, and just do the firmware install. While it may work some times, it sometimes doesn't.

Last edited:
Been bit by that dirty upgrade roll of the dice. Have a AX88 and two mesh AX86. The upgrade to 386.7 went smoothly for all three, just add to reschedule a script on the AX88. My upgrade to 5.2 was a mess, had to build everything from scratch. This last upgrade I backed everything up on the AX88 (config/jffs partition) just in case.

you right
A dirty upgrade is when after the upgrade, you do NOT reset the router to factory defaults. You just continue to use the existing settings in nvram, use the AddOn's you already had installed, etc. In order to prevent the kinds of issues you're experiencing, you should (ideally) set the router to factory defaults *before* the upgrade, install the new firmware, and once again, do a factory reset. Finally, manually reconfigure the router the way you want.

IOW, you don't want to carry over anything from the prior firmware. You want a clean, fresh install and default settings to work from. The temptation by many is to avoid the hassle of this approach, and just do the firmware install. While it may work some times, it sometimes doesn't.
thanks

I did a Dirty Upgrade and my Open VPN Setup is borked as well.

Time for a Factory Reset