What's new

Update Username/Password in ASUS Router App After changing these remotely by VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jksmurf

Hi

TLDR: can you add a Remote Router to the ASUS App?

I have a Router configured within the ASUS Router App (which I originally setup locally) but I later (after taking it to another country) used Wireguard to (independently) VPN to the Routers WebAdmin where I changed the username and password via that connection. That change went fine.

Unfortunately there is now no way I can login into the remote router via the Router App and the App will not allow me to edit the username and password to the new settings, in “Settings, Router Login Configuration“. It’s not a show stopper I can still use the Webadmin but I like the App purely for the quick “have a look”.

The Router is 9000km away, anyone know how can I put the revised username and password into the App?

So then I tried removing and re-adding the Router from the App but now it asks for a QR code or Wi-Fi only - there appears no way to set it up or re-connect it via Ethernet (which I was hoping would then work remotely over VPN). It looks like i will have to wait until I go to the Router, meh.

As I still had both my home and remote routers on the Asus Router App on the iPad I even tried binding the routers (seems you have to bind them all) to my google account and I did get the remote one coming back on my iPhone - but it still wouldn’t let me change the password. Noting that when you do this (as observed in another thread it opens up your Remote machine to web access from WAN, see Settings, Access Configuration. I really don’t like the way it does that) and which I promptly turned off (you must also click APPLY not just toggle the switch). However I couldn’t turn off another toggle under system settings called “Remote Connection”. The reason for this remains a mystery.

So the in desperation I remotely (using WG) changed the remote router password back to the old one to see if the app would go back in - which it did but left the remote connection button still unable to be turned off.

I tried sending feedback to ASUS on the App but got the standard “if you’ve forgotten your password reset the router response”....

Thanks for any insight, suggestions or experience with this.

K.

Hi

TLDR: can you add a Remote Router to the ASUS App?

I have a Router configured within the ASUS Router App (which I originally setup locally) but I later (after taking it to another country) used Wireguard to (independently) VPN to the Routers WebAdmin where I changed the username and password via that connection. That change went fine.

Unfortunately there is now no way I can login into the remote router via the Router App and the App will not allow me to edit the username and password to the new settings, in “Settings, Router Login Configuration“. It’s not a show stopper I can still use the Webadmin but I like the App purely for the quick “have a look”.

The Router is 9000km away, anyone know how can I put the revised username and password into the App?

So then I tried removing and re-adding the Router from the App but now it asks for a QR code or Wi-Fi only - there appears no way to set it up or re-connect it via Ethernet (which I was hoping would then work remotely over VPN). It looks like i will have to wait until I go to the Router, meh.

As I still had both my home and remote routers on the Asus Router App on the iPad I even tried binding the routers (seems you have to bind them all) to my google account and I did get the remote one coming back on my iPhone - but it still wouldn’t let me change the password. Noting that when you do this (as observed in another thread it opens up your Remote machine to web access from WAN, see Settings, Access Configuration. I really don’t like the way it does that) and which I promptly turned off (you must also click APPLY not just toggle the switch). However I couldn’t turn off another toggle under system settings called “Remote Connection”. The reason for this remains a mystery.

So the in desperation I remotely (using WG) changed the remote router password back to the old one to see if the app would go back in - which it did but left the remote connection button still unable to be turned off.

I tried sending feedback to ASUS on the App but got the standard “if you’ve forgotten your password reset the router response”....

Thanks for any insight, suggestions or experience with this.

K.

The app opens you up to WAN access, as far as I know it cannot be completely disabled. Honestly I would uninstall the app and never use it, and disable all WAN access via the web GUI.

If you must have it, it sounds like you may have already tried this, but have the phone go over the VPN, get an IP from the LAN subnet, ensure it is allowed to hit the router IP, and see if it lets you re-add the router now.

The app opens you up to WAN access, as far as I know it cannot be completely disabled. Honestly I would uninstall the app and never use it, and disable all WAN access via the web GUI.
Agree it does open your Router up by default, but I 'think' (I am pretty sure) you can elect to disable both (i) WAN Access from LAN (hit apply) and the Remote Connection button. The attached pics are from my Home Router. But for my Remote device, after I changed the User/PWD via Webadmin, the "Remote Connection" button stayed on.
If you must have it, it sounds like you may have already tried this, but have the phone go over the VPN, get an IP from the LAN subnet, ensure it is allowed to hit the router IP, and see if it lets you re-add the router now.
Yep, tried it; the App is the issue, as it only asks for a Wifi-connected Router, not once connected by any other means.
See piccies attached, they tell the story, you just do not get that option.

Attachments

• Off1.jpg
    Off1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Off2.jpg
    Off2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen1.jpg
    Screen1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen2.jpg
    Screen2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen3.jpg
    Screen3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 32
I've disabled remote access on the app, and router. I mainly keep the app around as a way to monitor connections to the router e.g. it sends notifications on device connections. So, I consider it a way to monitor network security just in case someone tries to get in, I would see the connection notification. Beyond that, I manage the router locally through the web gui.