What's new

Updating AC86U firmware procedure.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sportflyer

Occasional Visitor
Just purchased ac86U router .trying to update firmware . It started the update from the web GUI , when completed , a message comes up that says update completed. then it stays on that page . Nothing happens.

How do I log into the web GUI to complete the upgrade/reset process? Force the app to close by ctrl+alt+del?

I decided to reset the router by using the reset button. Now I get back to the original firmware. Its working again . 192.168.1.1 did not work as log in IP . I had to use router.asus.com to login . I was surprised to find that the default was 192.168.50.1. Asus should have noted that more clearly . I thought I had bricked the router. l promptly changed the WAN default IP back to 192.168.1.1 or else all my other devices on the network are messed up.

I would like to try and upgrade to latest firmware again but need inputs as how to log back into web GUI to complete the process. Also BTW will the default login IP be changed back to 192.168.50.1 after the FW upgrade?

Thanks

Just purchased ac86U router .trying to update firmware . It started the update from the web GUI , when completed , a message comes up that says update completed. then it stays on that page . Nothing happens.

How do I log into the web GUI to complete the upgrade/reset process? Force the app to close by ctrl+alt+del?

I decided to reset the router by using the reset button. Now I get back to the original firmware. Its working again . 192.168.1.1 did not work as log in IP . I had to use router.asus.com to login . I was surprised to find that the default was 192.168.50.1. Asus should have noted that more clearly . I thought I had bricked the router. l promptly changed the WAN default IP back to 192.168.1.1 or else all my other devices on the network are messed up.

I would like to try and upgrade to latest firmware again but need inputs as how to log back into web GUI to complete the process. Also BTW will the default login IP be changed back to 192.168.50.1 after the FW upgrade?

Thanks

Browse to 192.168.50.1 or router.ausus.com to login to the router webUI. See the instructions that came with the router. Ctrl-Alt-Del is a DOS/Windows PC thing, not a router or browser thing.

If the firmware upgrade was successful and you wait long enough, it will return to the router webUI login page.

For a more certain upgrade, download the firmware file and apply it manually. And be patient to let it settle.

You might want to try the latest AiMesh 2.0 RC2-8 beta firmware. If you do, you need to upgrade manually to the released firmware later.

Beta - ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0 | Page 10 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

After upgrading the firmware, reset it to factory defaults before configuration.

OE

I will apply the firmware manually this time around. Are you saying that when I get to the download successful page, I continue to let the page sit until the page returns by itself to the log in page? What happens if after10 minutes or so it still does not return to the log in page ? Any way to force it ?

I will apply the firmware manually this time around. Are you saying that when I get to the download successful page, I continue to let the page sit until the page returns by itself to the log in page? What happens if after10 minutes or so it still does not return to the log in page ? Any way to force it ?

Yes, wait. If you are forcing things, then something is not right. If it never recovers after awhile, you can try browsing to the router webUI again.

OE

OK. I will try. I had better remove all my other Ethernet connections except the primary computer .To be safe I should set the ethernet adapter back to DHCP because it's on a static IP now before I attempt the FW upgrade.
BTW I saved the current setting (.cfg file) . Can I use this to file to restore my settings to new FW to avoid manually resetting everything up again or is it too risky.

This is my first Asus router . I recall there was much less hassle when I was upgrading firmware on a linksys router and the settings were retained after FW upgrade.

If you are using the factory firmware it should have upgraded on initial setup. Using the reset button just restarts the router. If the router hangs after upgrade do a power cycle.

OK. I will try. I had better remove all my other Ethernet connections except the primary computer .To be safe I should set the ethernet adapter back to DHCP because it's on a static IP now before I attempt the FW upgrade.
BTW I saved the current setting (.cfg file) . Can I use this to file to restore my settings to new FW to avoid manually resetting everything up again or is it too risky.

This is my first Asus router . I recall there was much less hassle when I was upgrading firmware on a linksys router and the settings were retained after FW upgrade.

Removing router connections is wise if they are not trusted to be healthy.

The static IP on the admin PC may have been a source of trouble. I'd keep it dynamic, set by the router.

A saved router configuration is best used for quickly recovering the same hardware, same firmware to a known good state. I would not use it here because you are trying to install new firmware and then reset that to its new factory defaults that come from the new firmware, not from an older saved configuration.

Resetting new firmware before configuring it is not uncommon and is generally advisable. You can skip the reset for minor firmware upgrades where it won't matter, but you seldom know enough to know when this applies. At the first sign of issues, you should reset to be sure of a clean install, configure, and then troubleshoot any remaining issues.

When I owned Linksys routers back in the day before Cisco bought and sold them to Belkin, their router firmware was seldom updated. Asus is updating frequently as they introduce/fix AiMesh.

OE

If you are using the factory firmware it should have upgraded on initial setup. Using the reset button just restarts the router. If the router hangs after upgrade do a power cycle.

The reset button clears any user configuration and resets the firmware to factory default settings.

OE

I had better set aside users down time when I do this .

When I first powered up the router 2 days ago , it took me 2 to 3 hrs to get everything to work because I did not realize that the router default IP was not 192.168.1.1 everything from firestick to roku etc would not connect immediately with each device requiring new credentials :( After I changed the default IP , everything went back to normal . Learned the hard way . Hopefully things will go smoother now .

Last edited:
I had better set aside users down time when I do this .

When I first powered up the router 2 days ago , it took me 2 to 3 hrs to get everything to work because I did not realize that the router default IP was not 192.168.1.1 everything from firestick to roku etc would not connect immediately with each device requiring new credentials :( After I changed the default IP , everything went back to normal . Learned the hard way . Hopefully things will go smoother now .

Smart... always respect your users!

My install notes may offer some clues for a baseline configuration... includes the LAN IP change to 192.168.1.1 and WiFi setting suggestions. A clean install with reset and configuration can be completed in 15-30 minutes.

OE

Hard reset procedure: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/ Your AC86U uses Method 2

OE and I do not always agree on WIFI settings. What works for me is to use Dual Band SmartConnect, set 5GHZ to Channel 36 or 149 @ 80 MHZ, 2.4 GHZ to Channel 1, 6 or 11 @ 20 MHZ. Turn off WPS unless you plan to add AiMesh. Use a SSID of all letters (upper and lower case) and an eight digit passphrase of letters and numbers (no special characters).

I am using separate SSID and Passphrase for 2.4ghz and 5ghz because I have a lot of older devices which only has 2.4ghz . All streaming done at 5Ghz. Using ch11 @20mhz and Ch48 at 40Mhz respectively. (Roku and Firestick does not seem to like 80Mhz ch. width ( cant even detect the channel !)

OE Tks for the link to your install notes.

I am using separate SSID and Passphrase for 2.4ghz and 5ghz because I have a lot of older devices which only has 2.4ghz . All streaming done at 5Ghz. Using ch11 @20mhz and Ch48 at 40Mhz respectively. (Roku and Firestick does not seem to like 80Mhz ch. width ( cant even detect the channel !)

OE Tks for the link to your install notes.
I have a couple of very old G IP cams that work well on my network. My old Roku 3 also works well but like the 2.4 band most of the time and streams without problems. Have a couple of N devices on 2.4 GHZ as well. With a single SSID I let the device pick the band. Less to manage. Roaming outside the house with the iPod and Android phone works well as they switch between 5 and 2.4 GHZ.

Hard reset procedure: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/ Your AC86U uses Method 2

OE and I do not always agree on WIFI settings. What works for me is to use Dual Band SmartConnect, set 5GHZ to Channel 36 or 149 @ 80 MHZ, 2.4 GHZ to Channel 1, 6 or 11 @ 20 MHZ. Turn off WPS unless you plan to add AiMesh. Use a SSID of all letters (upper and lower case) and an eight digit passphrase of letters and numbers (no special characters).
When should I use the hard reset ? the instructions after a manual fw update is to use the reset button " It is recommended to restore to factory default settings by pressing the reset button on the bottom of the wireless router for 5 seconds after doing a firmware update. " Isn't this enough ? BTW what does the little check box next to the restore button on the Web GUI mean ? leave it unchecked? Tks

Last edited:
When should I use the hard reset ? the instructions after a manual fw update is to use the reset button " It is recommended to restore to factory default settings by pressing the reset button on the bottom of the wireless router for 5 seconds after doing a firmware update. " Isn't this enough ? BTW what does the little check box next to the restore button on the Web GUI mean ? leave it unchecked? Tks

Reset Button/webUI Restore clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores factory defaults from CFE.
WebUI Restore w/Initialize also clears logged data in /jffs folder.

Both are sufficient resets. Feel free to clear logged data, too.

Hard reset? I've never done it... something to try when all else fails, I suppose.

OE

Performed upgrade this morning. No hitches. The GUI came up immediately after upgrade completed message was received. I am not sure what happened the first time I tried the upgrade. I am now on 3.0.0.0.386_40451. Tks for all the advise .

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!