What's new

Upgrade 4-bay NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

winderic

Occasional Visitor
Hi All, been using qnap TS209PRO for years now. But due to size limit 2TB, now planning to get extra External HDD to expand. But after looking at the options, now quite tempted to get a 4bays nas, either qnap ts420/ synology ds413j or newer ds414j. Do you think is worth it? I currently only use NAS to stream video/music on pc and phone.

If 4bays is the way to go, Which one to get? I really like synology shr because I have different size HDD laying around I can use. But 413j have no front USB. TS420 have it but can't utilise my different size hdd.

Thanks. Open to any suggestion.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Just bear in mind, if you mix drives in a JBOD/SHR arrangement, that this is vulnerable. JBOD/SHR/RAID is not a backup.

In terms of data loss from theft, human error, NAS mainboard/power supply failure, it's not IF, it's WHEN.

USB3/eSATA backup is essential. Or 2nd NAS.

So you mean regardless whether with 2 bay or 4, still need external Hdd for backup? I do have a 2tb ext drive that I can setup for backup. My current qnap just setup as JBOD and no backup cause is all media file. My window backup is on a ext HDD.

So you mean regardless whether with 2 bay or 4, still need external Hdd for backup? I do have a 2tb ext drive that I can setup for backup. My current qnap just setup as JBOD and no backup cause is all media file. My window backup is on a ext HDD.

No matter, RAID is not a backup. JBOD has no redundancy. Today's NAS have USB3 or eSATA for backups.
On my Synology, I use the external drive formatted by the NAS to Linux format. Much faster write speeds for backups than leaving it NTFS.
If I ever have to read it under Windows, I have freeware that does so.

Thanks stevech.
Anyone would recommend qnap over synology? Does ram matter else well? How long will qnap support older unit nas?

Hi All, i am pretty much set on buying a synology DS414 now, i just wondering if you can help me with this before i buy it.

I am planing to buy 2x3TB drive for the new NAS and i have 1x1tb and 1x500G drive that i can use else well. Is it possible to setup the 2x3TB in Raid 1 first. Then create a second volume group with JBOD? Reason been i don't have a big external HDD to backup all the files i have now, so planning to setup RAID1 first, copy all the files over and then add the smaller size drive after finish copying. Just worry that the NAS won't allow me to add smaller size drive later on.

My plan is to have important files on RAID1 and leave those not important files in JBOD. Then use another external HDD to backup the most important files in RAID1.

Any advise is*welcome. Thanks

RAID 1 is, IMO, inferior to running two volumes in a 2 bay NAS. Because I feel that the risks are, in priority order put drive failure way down the list of risks (IMO). JBOD is not advised. If it's worth storing, it should be backed up. JBOD has no protection other than external backup. It's very risky, I think.

• Theft
  • Human error (oops delete; oops NAS reconfig; oops NAS software update issue)
  • NAS power supply or mainboard
  • Drive failure not protected by external USB3 backup
Also, with 2 volumes, one can have the shares on one, and the other can have a time backup of some/all folders and file versions back x months. File version keeping has saved my butt many times.

Buy Synology or QNAP.

Last edited:
The reason why I want to create two volume group because the raid1 will be using new drive but jbod will be old drive. Old drive have a higher chance of failure that why want to seperate out from raid1. Any data store on jbod will be data not important.

Hi All, been using qnap TS209PRO for years now. But due to size limit 2TB, now planning to get extra External HDD to expand. But after looking at the options, now quite tempted to get a 4bays nas, either qnap ts420/ synology ds413j or newer ds414j. Do you think is worth it? I currently only use NAS to stream video/music on pc and phone.

If 4bays is the way to go, Which one to get? I really like synology shr because I have different size HDD laying around I can use. But 413j have no front USB. TS420 have it but can't utilise my different size hdd.

Thanks. Open to any suggestion.

Can I ask why you prefer the DS414 over the TS420?

I'm in the market for a new raid box too but can't fathom out the differences between these two units.

Well....it might not make sense. I was comparing ds413j with ts420 and ds413j is better but lower then ts-421. With the same amount, in Australia I can buy ds414 and is newer. I also like SHR function. Review for ds414 is good too so far the one I read. Sorry that I can't be much help, I am sort of going with my guts too. Lol

Go check on review for ds414 on legion hardware. Maybe will help you