What's new

Upgrade Advice (AC88U+RP68U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Simcard

New Around Here
Hi all!

I have recently upgraded my internet to 500mbps and am still using a AC88U in the downstairs office with an asus RP68U repeater as an access point (wired) in the living room for electronics (wired to access point).

The house has 4 rooms on the ground floor, 5 rooms on the 1st floor and 2 rooms on the 2nd floor. I don't get great coverage on the 1st floor in rooms furthest to the router downstairs.

I wanted to know if it was worth going with a mesh network setup ?

examples:
A. asus zenwifi xt8 mesh e.g 2 nodes (wired) to the ac88u router,
B. Asus zenwifi xt8 mesh with 2 nodes and 1 zenwifi router
C. A single powerful wifi6/E triband router and use my existing ac88u and repeater as access points?

Budget isn't much of a consideration.

thanks

Last edited:
For a mesh network you are better off staying with the same technology. Some say to wait on 6E. WIFI 6 is great. Triband if you can not do Ethernet backhaul. As for Asus routers the AX86U is higher rated than the triband AX routers. AX92U may be a good choice for you if you need WIFI backhaul.

For a mesh network you are better off staying with the same technology. Some say to wait on 6E. WIFI 6 is great. Triband if you can not do Ethernet backhaul. As for Asus routers the AX86U is higher rated than the triband AX routers. AX92U may be a good choice for you if you need WIFI backhaul.

Thanks for your advice.

Ethernet backhaul shouldn't be an issue.
So either go with a mesh system or single AX92U with scope to use AImesh in the future?

I may also get an additional 1.3gbps on the 1st floor in the next few months, i want to try and get as much of the bandwidth around the home as possible

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice.

Ethernet backhaul shouldn't be an issue.
So either go with a mesh system or single AX92U with scope to use AImesh in the future?

I may also get an additional 1.3gbps on the 1st floor in the next few months, i want to try and get as much of the bandwidth around the home as possible
I know that the AX86U has link aggregation as well as a 2.5 GB Ethernet port. Some are using the 2.5 GB for the Ethernet backhaul between the router and an AX86U AiMesh node. Then you could use the WAN + a LAN port to the modem or ONT for up to 2 GB download.

For my use a single AX86U is over kill for my small house (an AC66U_B1 worked well for me) but with the purchase of a couple of new laptops with AX WIFI I just had to get an AX86U. Guess it should be future proof for a while.