What's new

Upgrade from asus RT68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xlarge

Regular Contributor
My old Asus RT-AC68U can't be reached unless from the app, not via ip-number. And it sometimes reject to give me full internet speed. I think there is time for a new one, but which one - in the same price level? I have used Asus for over 20 years, and would prefer them further.

There is no need for mesh as already use some router satelites and have cabled all over the house.

I can see that Asus don't give more updates on my old one and that tells me to buy av rather new model, when I buy.

My old Asus RT-AC68U can't be reached unless from the app, not via ip-number. And it sometimes reject to give me full internet speed. I think there is time for a new one, but which one - in the same price level? I have used Asus for over 20 years, and would prefer them further.

There is no need for mesh as already use some router satelites and have cabled all over the house.

I can see that Asus don't give more updates on my old one and that tells me to buy av rather new model, when I buy.

RT-AX86U Pro or RT-AX88U Pro. Only Pro models will run next gen ASUSWRT 5.0 firmware.

OE

Thanks, OzarkEdge.
I just bought RT-AX86U and spite minor problems it is up and go now.
The manual says use the pw on back on the router, but I was never asked for pw. Quite dirty and dangerous from Asus. I of course instead used cable and spite Firefox was one preferred, it don't worked. But Edge did.

It came up with dual wifi but I found that 5G worked better and changed.

I used to have the merlin software and have downloaded last version, but it seems that the real asus version is newer. Should I still upgrade to merlin?

So far I use the default values but hope for suggestions for what critical to change.

Last edited:
Thanks, OzarkEdge.
I just bought RT-AX86U and spite minor problems it is up and go now.
The manual says use the pw on back on the router, but I was never asked for pw. Quite dirty and dangerous from Asus. I of course instead used cable and spite Firefox was one preferred, it don't worked. But Edge did.

It came up with dual wifi but I found that 5G worked better and changed.

I used to have the merlin software and have downloaded last version, but it seems that the real asus version is newer. Should I still upgrade to merlin?

So far I use the default values but hope for suggestions for what critical to change.

Did you get a Pro model?

I would install current ASUSWRT firmware, Hard Reset it to its default settings, and then configure it however you want. Once you're satisfied with the new router hardware, use whatever firmware you want.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize also clears data logged in /jffs partition

My install notes may give you some ideas for a basic configuration, US region.

OE

Hi OzarkEdge, Thank you very much.

You: "I would install current ASUSWRT firmware, Hard Reset it to its default settings, and then configure it however you want. Once you're satisfied with the new router hardware, use whatever firmware you want." And looking at your own setup "My ASUSWRT 5.0 AiMesh RT-AX86U_Pro_3.0.0.6.102.34312 + RT-AX86U_Pro_3.0.0.6.102.34312" I found that this is the original version from ASUS, not merlin and the same firmware I have. It confuses me a lot when i read you comment where you recommend Merlin software.

Yes, I bought the pro one and happily with 30% discount.
I have a lot of problems with internet. May be it not started with my old router because I now have got a new fiber house-central (yesterday) also and still I now and then count 6 mips up and down. Searching everything I found the new source problem. It was my old tp-link TL-SG105 splitter. Input a 20 m RJ45 was OK 150 mips, but every port out only 6,2 mips.

Therefore a new splitter, and I am going to buy TP-Link TL-SG105SE tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi OzarkEdge, Thank you very much.

You: "I would install current ASUSWRT firmware, Hard Reset it to its default settings, and then configure it however you want. Once you're satisfied with the new router hardware, use whatever firmware you want." And looking at your own setup "My ASUSWRT 5.0 AiMesh RT-AX86U_Pro_3.0.0.6.102.34312 + RT-AX86U_Pro_3.0.0.6.102.34312" I found that this is the original version from ASUS, not merlin and the same firmware I have. It confuses me a lot when i read you comment where you recommend Merlin software.

I only recommend that you use current ASUSWRT firmware from ASUS on your new ASUS RT-AX86U Pro wireless router.

OE

OK, may be some other member will recommend the merlin software?

Current Asuswrt is 3.0.0.6 Asuswrt 5.0 firmware. Current Asuswrt-Merlin is 3.0.0.4 Asuswrt 4.0 based firmware.

You just got a new Pro model router with Pro firmware available for it. No interest to see what's new in Asuswrt 5.0? If you don't need any complicated VPN setups or not interested in custom scripts - everything else is available in stock Asuswrt in one form or another plus new features not yet available in Asuswrt-Merlin. Your choice.

OK, may be some other member will recommend the merlin software?

If you are unable to decide for yourself, then you should not use third-party Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

OE