What's new

Upgrade from RT-AX92U (2-pack)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JokerPower

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I need your advice in choosing a new Mesh system. Last year I purchased ASUS RT-AX92U (2-pack), and I'm quite unhappy with it. I've experienced issues with the software (losing WiFi connection, disconnecting devices, slow and unstable speeds, etc.). Many of them got fixed by new firmware, but it feels like it's an ongoing public beta. I've never had so many issues with other products. Currently, I'm on the latest stable firmware, and there are still problems. For example, I'm constantly losing the WAN connection on the main unit, and the only way to restore it is to restart it. I've tried to do a hard reset, and it still loses the WAN connection.

That's why I'm planning to sell this Mesh system and get a new one.

I'm looking for a router with the following features:
  • The ability to create a Mesh system
  • Excellent thermals. I'm storing the main RT-AX92 unit in a network box, and it's overheating (unfortunately, there is no way to change the placement). I'm also storing in there the ONT modem and switch. None of them are overheating
  • Stable firmware
  • Support for AX standard
  • Great coverage (for a house with two floors)
  • High speeds for both wired and wireless (my Internet plan is 500/500 Mbps)

Many thanks

Regards

Your issues seem entirely related to the enclosed and obviously too warm location you're choosing to run the router from.

Any router you choose to put into the same location will suffer similar gremlins.

Put your main router/AP out in the open as Wi-Fi demands for best performance. Changing equipment with suboptimal deployment won't change the outcome too much.

Your issues seem entirely related to the enclosed and obviously too warm location you're choosing to run the router from.

Any router you choose to put into the same location will suffer similar gremlins.

Put your main router/AP out in the open as Wi-Fi demands for best performance. Changing equipment with suboptimal deployment won't change the outcome too much.

Thank you for your message

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to change the placement.

All the ethernet cables are coming into that network box. Including the fiber optic. So, the network structure is the following:
Fiber Optic > Network box > ISP ONT unit > Main ASUS-RT-AX92U > Switch > Second RT-AX92U

Most of the ethernet cables are connected to the switch.

The WiFi performance is excellent, so I'm not having issues because of that placement. The only problem is overheating. Even the second unit is pretty hot, and it's placed in an open place..

What are you considering 'hot'?

You know you can run two Ethernet cables (even Cat5e will be enough for short runs of less than 100') to get the main router connected to the ONT (via its WAN port) and switch (via a LAN port).

If the Wi-Fi performance is excellent, you may simply have 'too much Wi-Fi' in a too-small space with 2x RT-AX92U's. Consider dropping the node and test then (with the main router out of the hot-box).

What are you considering 'hot'?

You know you can run two Ethernet cables (even Cat5e will be enough for short runs of less than 100') to get the main router connected to the ONT (via its WAN port) and switch (via a LAN port).

If the Wi-Fi performance is excellent, you may simply have 'too much Wi-Fi' in a too-small space with 2x RT-AX92U's. Consider dropping the node and test then (with the main router out of the hot-box).

1. It's hot when touching :D compared to my old R7000

2. You mean to run new additional cables? Like this:
Fiber Optic > Network box > ISP ONT unit > Ethernet cable to the main RT-AX92U unit (placed in an open space) > Ethernet cable from the main unit to the switch

That's not an option

3. I've tried this, one unit is not enough to cover all rooms.

Actually, I can place the main unit in an open space. But in this case, I will lose the wired backhaul and the second 5GHz band

1. 'Hot, when touching', compared to an 8-year-old router? :) Not comparable. ;)

These newer routers have an SoC that lives at 120C and will shut down the CPU cores at 100C. That isn't to say that some units may show issues at lower (indicated) temperatures. The probes for those temperatures are not known to be the most accurate (or, even, accurately placed).

2. Yes. It is the only option unless you can put a fan that exhausts to outside that box it's in (to keep things properly cool).

If you can place the main router in an open space, what is the issue with running a second Ethernet cable then?

Why is the AiMesh node needed? What benefits does it bring?

If you can place the main router in an open space, what is the issue with running a second Ethernet cable then?

Because there is the risk of ruining the room design :D it's not that simple in my case (too many troubles for just one additional cable)

I was thinking about this structure:
Fiber Optic > Network box > ISP ONT unit > Switch > Main unit (on the first floor in an opened space) and the Second unit (on the second floor) both connected to the Switch

Probably it won't work if wired backhaul.

Why is the AiMesh node needed? What benefits does it bring?

I'm sorry, what exactly do you mean? With Mesh, I can roam from one floor to another without being disconnected

Ruin the room design? Lol... Try to think creatively, I'm sure the room design won't be impacted in the end. ;)

No, it won't work connected to the switch (one needs the WAN input, the other the LAN).

What size is your home in SqFt? Won't a single, well-placed main router cover it?

What size is your home in SqFt? Won't a single, well-placed main router cover it?

About 350 sq.m.

Well, probably there will be a signal. But the speeds won't be that good anymore. I've tried with a single router, and it feels more sluggish on a different floor (probably because it connects to 2.4 GHz)

Another day, another issue. I was working on my desktop and suddenly there is no Internet connection (checked the router, everything seemed ok), but there is Internet on other devices (so, no red LED for WAN). I've opened the network settings on the desktop and it showed - Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP. Lol, never had this before and it suddenly appears now. Tried to reset the connection and restart the machine. Still no connection. Guess what, I've restarted the router and now there is an Internet connection on the desktop.. this is insane.. so unreliable product..

So, the question is still open. What else would you recommend? But please, don't recommend ASUS anymore. Many thanks in advance

Im running 2 AX86Ucs withput a problem.
Main router running latest stable Merlin firmware, node running latest official firmware.
If i would have the need to actually switch i would try the TP-Link Omada stuff with AX AP's, for me it aint worth the investment though as i would look into over 1K investment.
Omada has SDN, so a controller ot manage the entire metwork, having multiple AP's to have roaming between them.
Might check that out of you really want to change.
Although i agree with L&LD, if its a heat problem it might not be resolved by different hardware.

Sidenote, i have seen multiple topics about Asus equipment having problems with DHCP from the provider, there are some threads about it on this forum, might so a search on them.
Some have some workarounds to automatically reconnect the WAN when it happens, still having a few seconds outage though, so might not be actual fix depending on the needs of connectivity for teams calls as example.

Edit: found the script at https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Restart-WAN-interface-when-internet-is-down

Last edited: