What's new

Upgrade Home Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stephan04

Occasional Visitor
Hi all , my current router is an Asus rt ac68u with no NAS nor failover. I use an unifi AP LR plugged into the asus as my main wifi, and use asus guest network for guests - however there is no way to turn off the main wifi network on asus to minimise wifi noise.

The latest unifi controller does not allow me to set wpsa2 encryption on the AP for the guest hotspot that is why I use the Asus as I do not want an un encrypted wifi network.

My requirements are:
Router with failover,
NAS to auto back up laptop and pc
Guest wifi with no internal network access wpsa2
Eventually OpenVPN for my cctv on Vlan

The Edge router just seems complicated with scripts for failover and then you would need a 4g router for the failover.

Can anyone advise a sensible solution with the hardware I have? Or best value solution?

Thanks

There is no additional 'noise' by having the main wireless network 'on'. The radio is shared by the main and guest networks. If you make an SSID + password that nobody connects to on the main wireless, it isn't affecting anything.