What's new

Upgrade message ASUS rt-ax88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JDV

New Around Here
Hi,
I recently switched to the Merlin software so I could eliminate my isp router. So far I’m happy and it all works well. I got now a message from my router that there is a new update available for my router. My question is, is this a message form ASUS or from the Merlin software. What happens if I click upgrade now. Will it install latest ASUS firmware or will it actually update a new Merlin version. I don’t want to try because it kava lot of work fixing it if it does install the official ASUS firmware.
thanks!!

Merlin firmware tells you of a Merlin firmware update. Asus firmware tells you of an Asus firmware update. Current Merlin is 388.5. It is safe to upgrade. But in all things firmware have a settings backup just in case. And you will have to download the Merlin zip file first.

@JDV Which version of merlin are you currently running? If previous to 3004.388.xxxx then you'll likely have to do a factory reset after flashing, and then reconfiguring manually. Only you will know when things stop working properly.

@JDV Which version of merlin are you currently running? If previous to 3004.388.xxxx then you'll likely be better with a factory reset after flashing, and then reconfiguring manually. Only you will know when things stop working properly.
The OP said he switched recently so it is a sure bet he has 388.4. Otherwise he would have gotten the upgrade notice sooner.

To be safe:

After the above is completed, flash to the new firmware. If any issues (that a quick SNB search/inquiry doesn't solve), then it is a 10-minute job to get back to where you are now.

But, to really test the new firmware, (if you find any glitches), you may need to perform a factory reset on the router after flashing the firmware you want to test properly. Then, minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. Do not use any saved backup config files at this stage (it negates the full reset you just performed). Do not plug in any USB drive that was used for amtm/scripts without first inserting the drive into a PC and formatting it to NTFS.

Note that if you simply flashed RMerlin firmware over stock Asus without doing a full reset afterward, then it is more likely you will see issues (now) and in the future.

Thanks for all the replies. I have indeed 338.4. What is not clear yet is if Ivan use the upgrade notification or if I have upload the new firmware myself.