What's new

upgrade routers - need advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mattva

New Around Here
Hello,
I need to upgrade routers and have read too much now I'm just perplexed!
Currently have ATT 411N router. Have medium size one-story home with outdoor wi-fi usage. Have PC desktop wired as well as few wireless printer, PC laptops, iphones, ipads, Apple TV, Dish, smart TVs, etc. Now experiencing lag & dropped service.
Main questions regarding reviews read - Can I use my 411n as modem alongside new router? AC or N? What is Bridge and do I need this? Should I purchase a cheaper router w/range ext. or go with a big dog expensive one? Any input, advice is much appreciated for this middle-aged non-techie?

Hello,
I need to upgrade routers and have read too much now I'm just perplexed!
Currently have ATT 411N router. Have medium size one-story home with outdoor wi-fi usage. Have PC desktop wired as well as few wireless printer, PC laptops, iphones, ipads, Apple TV, Dish, smart TVs, etc. Now experiencing lag & dropped service.
Main questions regarding reviews read - Can I use my 411n as modem alongside new router? AC or N? What is Bridge and do I need this? Should I purchase a cheaper router w/range ext. or go with a big dog expensive one? Any input, advice is much appreciated for this middle-aged non-techie?

That's a DSL router right? What is your service speed? My guess is you are just exceeding what DSL can do.

Just about any router will give better wireless coverage than an ISP one like that, so if your coverage has been sufficient you should not need mesh or extenders etc. It looks like AT&T supports bridge mode in many devices but you'd have to go into the GUI of that router and see (or call them and ask). But not sure a new router is going to solve your problems. A TP Link or Asus AC router will let you do some QOS to try and overcome the issues somewhat (not letting one person's big download affect everything else). TP Link is usually lower cost and makes good routers, Asus adds some more features (which you probably don't need if your ISP router has been sufficient), but both support QOS.

I would not bother with an old N router, unless you can grab one free off Craigslist and it is a decent one from one of those brands. Even though your internet probably can't support anything more than N speeds, no sense in buying old technology that likely isn't getting security updates etc at this point (and wifi between devices will be a lot better on AC too, not to mention some other improvements in the technology where AC can get more speed and range in congested areas than N).

AT&T has some wireless extenders as my daughter has one. It works well for her. It plugs into her wall in the back of the house. She has ethernet plugs in every room. You might check with them if you want simple. She uses their wireless router which feeds the wireless extender.