What's new

Upgrade to xxx.47 Firmware destroys jffs and entware implementation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pfonseca

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I know and I have a backup of jffs partition and the configuration of entware apps implemented are on the USB pen.

Until when I've upgraded from one version to the next, every continues to work OK.

Now when I upgrade from vxxx.45 to vxxx.47, I lost jffs partition and entware implementation disappeared. Is this a common behavior or do I do something wrong?

What I use to do is a backup of jffs, just in case, a backup of configuration and upgrade the firmware and a reboot. Have I missed something?

Regards,

PS: The router is a RT-N66U and I have a second one to upgrade

Last edited:
Hi,

Now when I upgrade from vxxx.45 to vxxx.47, I lost jffs partition and entware implementation disappeared. Is this a common behavior or do I do something wrong?

add SNMP component required additional space.

vxxx.45 is 26MB, vxxx.47 is 28MB and that's why size of jffs reduced and may be lost.

Thx Andrey. I understand that to jffs. And entware?

Upgrade can't destroy Entware installation, it can only wipe JFFS partition, where Entware startup resides.

Thx again Andrey! Now I understand:)

Regards,

There's a reason why the router displays a warning about the JFFS2 partition when you are about to upgrade the firmware. The JFFS2 partition on the RT-N16 and RT-N66U is made of leftover space in the 32 MB flash space. When you flash a new firmware, if the size isn't exactly the same, it will increase or decrease the area used by JFFS2, which means you are highly likely to lose its content at that time.

So yes, on these two models, always assume that you will lose the JFFS2 partition content after flashing, because there is no guarantee that the new firmware is the same number of blocks than the previous one.

Thx Merlin,

I've understand that and that's why I have a backup of my scrpits that are on jffs. My doubt was about entware. I haven't noticed that entware depends on some scripts on /jffs/scripts and I have to backup them too.

Now that I'm aware of that, I backed up all /jffs and that's done:)

Regards,