What's new

Upgraded to Intel AX210 but slower speeds with 1 antenna on laptop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sachb

Hi I just bought the AX210 NGFF to replace my Intel AC9461 which was 1x1.

Unfortunately my laptop's original card Intel 9461 is only 1x1 which means my laptop has only a single antenna (Black), but the Intel AX210 requires 2.

Problem: The card works, but the speeds aren't that good. It hovers between 100 Mbps to 400 Mbps, but also has high ping.

While my Sony Xperia which is WiFi 6 gets me me around 640 Mbps this new AX card got me at max 420 Mbps.

Here are the specs of my Asus K571 laptop:

CPU: Intel i7
OEM WiFi module: Intel AC9461 1x1 (433 Mbps max)

So far I've tried connecting the antenna to both Aux and Main, but the speeds are same and hovers between, 100 Mbps -400 Mbps.

Possible solution: Will adding additional antenna connected to the chassis help overcome the speed and stability issues?

Possible solution: Will adding additional antenna connected to the chassis help overcome the speed and stability issues?
That's exactly what needs to happen. With an ax210 I could easily hit up to 1.2gbps and now I've upgraded again to the ax411 and speeds hit 1.5gbps. these are lan speeds but if you have a wan and proper wifi in place it will work.

You need mhf4 antennas for the card.

That's exactly what needs to happen. With an ax210 I could easily hit up to 1.2gbps and now I've upgraded again to the ax411 and speeds hit 1.5gbps. these are lan speeds but if you have a wan and proper wifi in place it will work.

You need mhf4 antennas for the card.
Btw, I have the Netgear RAX80 which is a WiFi 6 router set to 2400 Mbps, hope that the AX210 reaches the 2,400 Mbps after adding the antenna or I'll be terribly disappointed.
Bought the card from Amazon for $42

The speeds above are when using 160mhz channel width.
Adding an external antenna worked like a charm. Now in speed test I'm getting around 640 Mbps and lan to NAS transfer it's around 75 mb/sec.
I was expecting 125 mb/sec (1 GBPS) speed but nevertheless this is still okish. Do you think if I enable RAX80 to operate at 160 MHz, I'll be able to saturate the Intel card fully?
Right now the RAX80 router is set to 2400 Mbps, should I switch it to 4800 Mbps?

I don't know specifically for that model but, if it's configured for 160mhz you should be able to get closer to gigabit WiFi. Also download a WiFi analyzer app and make sure you're on a clean channel.