What's new

Upgrading 2xAC68U to AX routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bshth

New Around Here
My house has 4 family members, 6+ mobile devices, 3 consoles, and 7+ security cameras (Yi home cameras) around the house. I have one main AC68U and the other one as media bridge for my PC and consoles. Range wise I am very happy with AC68U. But throughput is terrible when other family members are using it (I stream games and other family members using wifi causes stream extremely unstable). All other family members are on 2.4Ghz and I am the only one who's on 5Ghz. So to fix this issue, I thought about couple options.

1. Upgrade main router to something better ($160) (AX58U is on the list but will it be enough?)
2. Use MOCA adapters ($120) to directly connect to main router (I assume this won't fix since throughput will still drop?)
3. Buy a cheap AX router ($50~$80; Or use the other AC68U) and use it as 5Ghz router (If throughput is the issue disabling 5Ghz on AC68U and use another router to handle 5Ghz may fix througput issue?)

Thank you in advance. Please let me know if I am understanding Wifi/throughput conecept wrong.

Hi @bshth - Welcome.

Replying to your points:
1. That won't necessarily solve anything, and is a premature move until we get know more.
2. Regardless of what you do otherwise, more wired backbone is always good, and if you cannot use ethernet, I'd go ahead and add the MoCa setup (GoCoax MoCa 2.5 adapters).
3. Again, might not solve anything, plus you'd likely be adding more airspace pollution and/or co-interference with a third, overlapping AP. I'd hold off for now.

My questions:
1. How are the AC68U's interconnected: wirelessly via AiMesh, or otherwise?
2. When you say "throughput is terrible" while others are connected, do you mean wireless throughput, or wired, or both? And is that when connected to the main unit, the satellite or both?
3. How fast (download/upload in Mb/s) and what kind (cable, fiber, etc.) of internet do you have?
4. Do you have any other networking gear connected to the AC68U's? Switch(es) perhaps? Or just endpoints?
5. Where are you located? Do you have access to: Eero, Ubiquiti, Mikrotik and/or Cisco small-business products?

I'm inclined to say install ethernet or MoCa backbone, then replace the consumer gear with business-grade, discrete components, but I'll hold my tongue until we find out more.

Last edited:
Hi @bshth - Welcome.

My questions:
1. How are the AC68U's interconnected: wirelessly via AiMesh, or otherwise?
2. When you say "throughput is terrible" while others are connected, do you mean wireless throughput, or wired, or both? And is that when connected to the main unit, the satellite or both?
3. How fast (download/upload in Mb/s) and what kind (cable, fiber, etc.) of internet do you have?
4. Do you have any other networking gear connected to the AC68U's? Switch(es) perhaps? Or just endpoints?
5. Where are you located? Do you have access to: Eero, Ubiquiti, Mikrotik and/or Cisco small-business products?

First of all thank you for the reply. To add some more information, distance between house is far enough where I do not see other APs from my house. I also have QOL setup (FQ-CODEL, 0 overhead with 26mbps up/195 down).

1. Wirelessly via Media bridge mode. Second AC68U is on 3.0.0.4.378_4850 official firmware due to newer firmwares cause unstable connection (connection drops periodically).
2. Wireless. That is why I thought about MOCA. If it's wireless throughput that is causing all this, MOCA should be able to fix the situation. I have a raspberry pi(pihole) connected wired but that barely uses any bandwidth.
3. Optimum 200 (200+mbps down/30~40mbps up) cable. Terrible company since Altice purchased Cablevision, but this is the only isp that has 100+mbps service.
4. Main AC68U is directly connected to cable modem (Arris TM822)
5. NY

Thanks for the answers. I would definitely setup MoCa between the two Asus units (again, two GoCoax WF-803M adapters), and run the remote AC68U in AP Mode.

Test behavior with that setup and it should solve most of your issues right there.

Thanks for the answers. I would definitely setup MoCa between the two Asus units (again, two GoCoax WF-803M adapters), and run the remote AC68U in AP Mode.

Test behavior with that setup and it should solve most of your issues right there.

Thank you. I will try MOCA adapter.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!