What's new

Upgrading from a GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nygamer814

New Around Here
I think the router is finally dying on me it cuts out randomly and factory resets do nothing had for a couple of years now i am wondering what would people suggest which router to replace it with I game on pc, xbox, playstation, switch etc. those devices are wired but i have some running on wireless for the kids i get 1 gig up/down from verizon fios any ideas on a good router that can handle mutiple gaming machines running and 2 adults working from home at the same time ill say about 10+ devices running at the same time. I looked at asus netgear and other i know gaming routers are nothing but gimmicks and overpriced but price is no issue so recommend me something good for a gaming household who wants low ping :).

Most popular model around is RT-AX86U. Updated RT-AX86U Pro model is coming soon with slightly faster CPU and new radio SoC. You perhaps don't need 3-radio router. Two adults working from home and 10 active devices is not a problem. I don't know how many kids do you have, but I'm assuming you're not talking about 10 gaming PCs and consoles running at the same time. You may look at GT-AX6000 model as well. It has 2x 2.5GbE ports as advantage over RT-AX86U and the same upgraded CPU/radio as the new RT-AX86U Pro.

RT-AC5300 or GT-AC5300? Just making sure because the first version has a weaker main CPU by modern standards. Granted.. Likely doesn't matter for wireless cutting out.

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the unit? Maybe your 5300 still has life.

Otherwise I agree, a modern "semi high end" dual band router with 4x4 5G main radio should be fine in most situations.

Last edited by a moderator: