What's new

upgrading from linksys wrt54gl

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paladyr

New Around Here
Currently I'm using tomato with my router. I currently use port forwarding, secure tunneling, Mac filtering, wpa. I would like to use qos but haven't yet. Having USB Ports could be nice but not necessary. I have about 7 devices connected. I use torrents a lot. Money isn't an issue other than me being frugal and not spending more than I need to. Wireless speed is less important than it being a great router.

The reason I would like to upgrade is that I upgraded to a 30mb down 5mb up internet connection and when i'm downloading torrents, it maxes out at 3mb (could be ISP throttling I have time Warner) and no other devices can access the internet while that is happening. I could setup qos but i'm thinking the problem is that the router can't handle the traffic/connections.

So, should I upgrade and what router should I buy? I have read through the site but I'm frozen with indecision. I want a router that can handle anything I throw at it. Thanks for suggestions!

Last edited:
I bought an Asus RT-n66u, love it so far! I'm using the stock firmware. I like tomato a lot but since the stock firmware seems to do everything I want it to do, and I wasn't entirely clear on which Shibby firmware file I should be using to flash, I'm sticking with stock unless I have a reason to move to tomato. This router does fix my issue where I'm downloading torrents that don't quite saturate my bandwidth (2mb out of 30mb) and all of the other clients can't connect to the internet. I think the old router just couldn't handle all of the simultaneous connections. This one is working great though!