What's new

Upgrading from my trusty old RT-AC66U to the new RT-AX86U today. What can I transfer from the old router to the new one?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

domic

Regular Contributor
I'd like to transfer as much as possible of my working config to the new router (once I've installed Merlin on it) so I don't have to manually configure every tedious setting from scratch if possible.

I have the following settings to transfer:
Custom IP range/subnet
USB hard drive File share settings
OpenVPN server settings and certs
SSID and misc. WLAN settings
entware installed packages and config
DDNS settings

I'll update if I can recall something else important.

RT-AC66U is running Merlin 380.70

Nothing. Different technology. Different router. Even your entware packages are likely going to change as different technology.

Manual set up is the way to go. On everything.

RT-AC66U w/380.70 to RT-AX86U w/386.5_2 is a whole new world.

Forget everything you 'know' about your current router and slowly and systematically add the features and capabilities you have now to your new network, continually testing as you go.

Do not 'blindly' use features, options, or scripts that worked 'once upon a time' with the old router. Do not assume that even commonly named features to work the same in current hardware. Everything has changed. Reading (possibly, all the changelogs) will clue you in to the changes since your router was current.

Not only has the hardware changed, but so have the SoCs, SDK, and many 'base' assumptions of how certain features work today. Not to mention the actual WiFi specifications since then.

Start with a good base as outlined in the link below and build your network back up as slow as is needed to ensure all the features are working and the router/network is stable, reliable, and performs at its best too.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

I'd like to transfer as much as possible of my working config to the new router (once I've installed Merlin on it) so I don't have to manually configure every tedious setting from scratch if possible.

I have the following settings to transfer:
Custom IP range/subnet
USB hard drive File share settings
OpenVPN server settings and certs
SSID and misc. WLAN settings
entware installed packages and config
DDNS settings

I'll update if I can recall something else important.

RT-AC66U is running Merlin 380.70
It takes me less than 30 minutes to flash new firmware, reset and manually configure my AX86U. Including Diversion and FlexQOS via AMTM. I do this often as I am always trying Asus and Merlin firmware versions so I have the settings memorized. I have only one Manually Assigned IP address and my cams and NAS are static IP addresses so I start the DHCP assignments at a number above the static addresses.

This is an Excellent question & I want to wish you Good-Luck on your router transition.
As everyone above has already informed you... It is BEST to start fresh, & I agree.
However, it's Not Always So EASY, & likely Depends on your level of knowledge.
Especially with a busy family or a small-medium business that's reliant on the internet.
In my case I tied A LOT of customized integration into the ENTWARE eco-sytem.
I liked the low-power, always-on, network-accessibility, & stability of doing so.
But to be honest...
I incorrectly assumed that by using ENTWARE I could simply remount my Entware customization on the newer ASUS router. Surprise ahhh Cr@P!
Eventually I did manage to move my Home-automation, Asterisk18, & more...
-From a RT-AC68U to the newer RT-AX86U, but again being honest...
I haven't 100% moved the network subnet & currently have a double NAT type situation going...
as I am trying to keep the teenagers & wife from forming a unified coalition & pursuing my execution.

Anyways,
Good-Luck to Both you & I on our router Transitions ;-)

I've setup most things yesterday from screenshots of the old Web GUI control panel.
I haven't gotten DDNS to work yet (DuckDNS)
Does /jffs/scripts/ddns-start have to be chmod +x'd to work or something?
Once DDNS works I'll be able to get VPN server setup and then format the entware USB drive and go to town with a few useful packages (htop, fish, iperf3 and such). AMTM is nice but not so important to install diversion etc for my uses.

It is faster to do fresh install of settings on an AX86U than an AC66U_B1: the router reboots faster

Note the 5G radio boots up much slower than the 2.4G radio on the AX86U - so do the fresh install via 2.4G or LAN.

Only if you have DFS channels enabled in settings.
it must be enabled by default: I didn't change any wireless settings in my AX86U

Only if you have DFS channels enabled in settings.
... Thaaat would explain why the 5 GHz wifi always has taken forever to start after a reboot on my old router.
So many years of frustration not understanding why it was so slow.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!