What's new

Upgrading from N66U to AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Damian Stothard

New Around Here
Hi All

I have an old N66U with Merlin firmware 380.70 installed (this was when Merlin discontinued support for this model)

I want to upgrade to a slightly newer model (more because I am worried it will fail at some point) that being a AC68U.

If I was to flash the AC68U with the same version firmware, that being the old 380.70, for that particular model would I be able to use the lasted backed up configuration file from my N66U to restore the devices configurations to match on the AC68U? And after which upgrade to latest firmware 384.8.2?

I am trying to save time having to input all the configuration settings on the new AC68U that's all

Cheers

Damian

Hi All

I have an old N66U with Merlin firmware 380.70 installed (this was when Merlin discontinued support for this model)

I want to upgrade to a slightly newer model (more because I am worried it will fail at some point) that being a AC68U.

If I was to flash the AC68U with the same version firmware, that being the old 380.70, for that particular model would I be able to use the lasted backed up configuration file from my N66U to restore the devices configurations to match on the AC68U? And after which upgrade to latest firmware 384.8.2?

I am trying to save time having to input all the configuration settings on the new AC68U that's all

Cheers

Damian
You cannot use saved settings on a different model router. Take screen shots and hand configure after the flash. You will avoid problems by doing so.

Hi All

Cheers

Damian

I would suggest you start your planning by having a good look at this thread which is "on topic" for these older routers.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v37e4.18914/

There are MANY warnings about flashing new firmware and using old settings - so I would not go down the road you are suggesting !!!

If you do purchase an AC68U, check the firmware version. If it has been on the shelf or in a warehouse for awhile and you flash to Merlins 384.8.2 you should probably do a factory default reset after the flash and then reconfigure. Might save you some grief down the road.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!