What's new

Upgrading from RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I could also keep it and use it instead of the RTAX86U which I could return to best buy.

No Asuswrt-Merlin support for GT-AX6000 at the moment - no custom scripts options available. I would keep the RT-AX86U and run stock Asuswrt on it until I become familiar with the new features and stabilize my network. There are some possible issues with new AX features and older clients - the jump in technology from RT-N66U to RT-AX86U is huge. After making sure my network is working and stable, I would evaluate what else (not available in stock Asuswrt firmware) I may eventually need.

No Asuswrt-Merlin support for GT-AX6000 at the moment - no custom scripts options available. I would keep the RT-AX86U and run stock Asuswrt on it until I become familiar with the new features and stabilize my network.
This is my plan. The minor hassle of returning the AX6000 is a bit unfortunate but I really don't see any point in keeping it over the AX86U. It has a single 2.5G LAN port on it which I don't even have enough WAN bandwidth to feed. Waste of an extra $120.
There are some possible issues with new AX features and older clients - the jump in technology from RT-N66U to RT-AX86U is huge. After making sure my network is working and stable, I would evaluate what else (not available in stock Asuswrt firmware) I may eventually need.
This is really my main concern. Just getting it swapped in and working with minimal disruption to all the wireless devices in the house. The two clients on ethernet are expected to be no problem and should 'just work' while most of the wireless devices will hopefully be the same if I re-use the same SSID and passcode. I have configured the AX86U to split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks which is the config on my NT66U currently too. Should be mainly a matter of getting the SSID and passcode named exactly the same.

It has a single 2.5G LAN port on it

This extra 2.5GbE LAN port is highly desirable feature. It can be connected to 2.5GbE switch.

I have configured the AX86U to split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks

Keep it this way.

Should be mainly a matter of getting the SSID and passcode named exactly the same.

Not only. If you have issues with older 2.4GHz clients, follow this recommendation:

Why do you need to backup your opinion with some virtual customers stories all the time? Just share your own experience with your own network.

My interaction with my customers is my experience.

And context, is everything.

I like giving complete answers, just like I was taught so long ago.

The RT-AX86U also has a 2.5GbE port too, (WAN or LAN).

My interaction with my customers is my experience.

Is it about the same customers with upgraded by you Gaming PC's, with routers you sell in big numbers, but can't recognize variants on picture and you don't know they have a Gaming Port at the back? Try to match your experience stories at least. Remember, I remember a lot. When you see me participating in the same thread better skip customers stories. As a business owner in Canada I may start asking questions again you may not be willing or able to answer. You represent @L&LD only on this forum. Not you and bunch of people you don't want to talk about and no one ever heard about. I represent @Tech9 only on this forum. Not my businesses, employees and what my customers think. Fair enough?

I like giving complete answers

Let's test: How warranty, invoices and sales tax works when you re-sell big number Asus routers to your customers, if you have no company registered?

The RT-AX86U also has a 2.5GbE port too, (WAN or LAN).

GT-AX6000 has 2x 2.5GbE ports, one for WAN/LAN and one for LAN. Check the specifications.

Last edited:
You're confused, I don't sell hardware.

I sell my services.

As for the specifications on the GT models, I was simply responding to post 22 above.

You're really worked up about how I answer.

I can't change that, sorry.

I'm contributing as best as I can.

GT-AX6000 has 2x 2.5GbE ports, one for WAN/LAN and one for LAN. Check the specifications.

Right and if it had all 4 LAN ports 2.5G support I'd be tempted to have stuck with it for the extra money. But with only one port and needing to buy a switch on top of a $400 cost? Meh. Hair is not blown back by that scenario.

Woohoo ASUS was able to pull back on the shipment so no issue there. Can't wait to set up the RTAX86U next week while I'm home on vacation!

I appreciate the input on the scripts and I'm not unwilling to try them as long as it's possible to back out of it and remove them. Ideally without a factory reset.
Their creators took this into account, and anything from amtm (which these scripts are) fit that category/requirement. Once you're ready, they're there until you want them gone...but not many choose to exercise that freedom from what I've been able to tell

You're confused, I don't sell hardware.

No, I'm not confused - I buy as many as I can (locally) because they are pre-sold.
What did you do with all the AX86U's, decorate your home for Christmas? What routers you pre-configure usually in your "office"? There is more, but you get the message. You can't sell any "services" to home router owners. Prove me wrong, if you dare to talk about it. You can help your friends to setup AiMesh at best. Better start taking notes about your fantasy world stories in different threads. @Riptide registered here for advice, not to read fairytales.

Their creators took this into account, and anything from amtm (which these scripts are) fit that category/requirement.

Last time I tested the scripts in AMTM (about 6m ago) not all the scripts cleared the system the way it was before. I'm not going to go into details because most of the scripts were updated. I have to re-test what's available in AMTM now, eventually next week on AX88U router. It's as close as possible to AX86U (the same hardware). My advice to @Riptide - keep it simple, make one change at a time, test for at least a week and get feedback from your family. Someone else's experience may not be the same as your own experience.

Last edited:
You do realize what 'pre-sold' means? I don't buy them to re-sell them. They are bought because the customers want them installed, now.

I'll repeat. I don't sell hardware to customers. I offer my services (for payment) to set that hardware up for them. Not everyone has the time, patience, knowledge, or aptitude to set up a network properly. That is what I get paid for. Whether you believe it or not.

And, if I can help them out by picking up the things needed, in this Covid world, I do. With no markup. I don't warranty any hardware (I don't want the headaches). I just guarantee that what I promise, I deliver.

I can't understand your anger against me, but I don't need to prove anything to you - you've already judged me, I see.

Now, maybe that you've got that off your chest (again), you can stop spamming the threads with this personal nonsense that nobody else brings up. I'm not trying to help you. You can go back to ignoring me, I'll be fine.

spamming the threads with this personal nonsense

This is exactly what I would like you to do - cut the nonsense and describe your own experience only. No one cares what your imaginary non-registered business is. No, I don't believe the story many people seek extra paid (cash) services for setting up a home router or two. Most people buy routers or "mesh" setups from BestBuy (or similar), try them out and return them, if something is not working as expected. The rest just live with what they've got. No one in the real world will pay some self-thought network guy >100km support trip for couple of hundred dollars hardware, give him his own routers for setting up in the "office" or provide VPN access to his network for updates. It can be only friends and family circle and help for free. This "business" is in your head only @L&LD and the "many customers" story you develop inconsistently every day has one purpose only - to make your own opinion a bit more credible. The issue is - a new SNB member may actually believe you and run the latest Alpha build hoping to solve the problem. You don't test what you don't use, so everything is perfect. Do you recognize parts of your stories? Wake up Neo. o_O

@Riptide, don't take the blue pill. Learn and explore. I'm done here.

Your selective comprehension of what I post is your personal problem.

As are your negative assumptions, of everything you wrote above. Maybe you're projecting your own insecurities and truth.

I'll continue to share my experiences as I feel best helps the people I'm replying to.

You will not ever be one of them, again.

@Tech9 Use the ignore button if a user annoys you. But DO NOT launch personal attacks again or you will earn a temporary ban.

Hi. I have the new router up and running. I ended up having to rejoin each device. Even sharing SSID and password from the previous router did not work. It is working now though.

One thing that seems a little odd to me is that I have devices plugged in and working over ethernet but I don't see any link lights on the back of the router where the cables plug in. This seems odd to me. Is this expected behavior with this device? Have I missed some setting?

I don't see any link lights on the back of the router where the cables plug in.

There is no link lights at the back of the router.

Happy Holidays!