What's new

Upgrading RT-AC66U to either RT-AX68U or RT-AX86U, worth it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevindd992002

Regular Contributor
So I'm using my AC66U (w/ Merlin FW) as a mere access point in my 60sqm. condo. I have pfSense for all my network's routing functions. The AC66U has been running great for the most part but I fell that it'a a real old router that "might" need an upgrade.

Is it worth it to upgrade to either an AX68U or an AX86U now? I know the AX86U is very famous here but I still want to hear your thoughts on this. The AX68U has the better price but it doesn't have 160MHz. Is that such a big of a deal?

Or just wait for tri-band 6E routers to become mainstream altogether?

Working great? Don't touch a thing.

When/if you need to, the RT-AX86U is the only option to consider, today. That may change in the future. Check back then. :)

5GHz and 6GHz are actually very close to each other. I'm not expecting the range to fall off drastically, if at all (depending on the RF technology the new routers give us).

To me, 6E is a long way off. RMerlin doesn't support a true 3 band/3 radio router yet and Asus hasn't released one either. :)

Got it. How is the AX86U looking? Does it have the final version of wifi 6? And does it really perform that well with wifi 6 clients?

So I'm using my AC66U (w/ Merlin FW) as a mere access point in my 60sqm. condo. I have pfSense for all my network's routing functions. The AC66U has been running great for the most part but I fell that it'a a real old router that "might" need an upgrade.

Is it worth it to upgrade to either an AX68U or an AX86U now? I know the AX86U is very famous here but I still want to hear your thoughts on this. The AX68U has the better price but it doesn't have 160MHz. Is that such a big of a deal?

I upgraded from a 66U_B1 to an AX86u earlier this year. I have a very simple setup and don't run scripts or add-ons but I do run Merlin. Wifi analyzer says my signal strength is somewhat higher at some locations in my house but performance-wise I don't really see any difference. I don't regret the upgrade even though it didn't get me anything other than having an up to date piece of hardware.

I have pfSense for all my network's routing functions. The AC66U has been running great for the most part but I fell that it'a a real old router that "might" need an upgrade.
This is my setup too. Unless you want and all in one router to take over the routing functions from Pfsense, you may be better served and save a lot of money by looking at pure access point devices that meet your wifi needs. I don't need any wifi capabilities beyond what my AC86U capably provides for the foreseeable future. Don't waste your money.

I upgraded from a 66U_B1 to an AX86u earlier this year. I have a very simple setup and don't run scripts or add-ons but I do run Merlin. Wifi analyzer says my signal strength is somewhat higher at some locations in my house but performance-wise I don't really see any difference. I don't regret the upgrade even though it didn't get me anything other than having an up to date piece of hardware.
Didn't get you anything? You are future proofed for the next five years. The new router is rock solid. It will be fully supported by Merlin and Asus (which would not be the case with the 66U). You have a much improved 5Ghz band, greater WIfi range, better Wifi device handling, better band steering, better traffic prioritization, full Wifi 6/AX support. Your next possible upgrade will be Wifi 7/BE when the 6Ghz tri-band radio routers have matured.

It's more than just having Wifi 6/AX. It's that the AX86U is one of the best routers Asus has ever made. You can't go wrong with it other than it lacking 6E/6Ghz capability. It will be up to five years before we see 6Ghz capable clients saturating the market. AX clients are just now becoming common place.

No more AC for me. For the past year I have been dumping all my AC routers used for personal, business and family and replacing ALL of them with the AX86U (seven purchased so far).

If you are happy with your current router and set up you don't need to change just for change's sake or just because others upgraded. You can afford to wait for the 6E routers coming out this next year. But if you want to join in the AX enthusiasm right now, become a member of the club and you have an itch for an upgrade you can't go wrong with the AX86U.

It's that the AX86U is one of the best routers Asus has ever made.

Folks used to say the same for RT-AC86U in 2017. Now I use dead RT-AC86Us for donor boards in order to repair some for fun. Let's talk about how good it is 2 years from now. It's made in a very similar way as RT-AC86U and now one of the most trusted SNB members discovered crashing Wi-Fi with logs hidden in Asuswrt. Sounds perfect, isn't it? Throw it on the market, get the money, fix it later. Same scenario as RT-AC86U. Some things never change.

Are you @SoCalReviews talking about the same RT-AX86U? Read this thread, the last posts:

Look who discovered the bug in Wi-Fi (drivers, perhaps), not an average SNB member.

None of my seven AX86Us have crashed or failed consistently with a limited range when using 5Ghz (like many of the previous Asus AC routers I was using). Rock solid performance with all the devices connected to the AX86Us. How the AX86U performs in other countries (in Europe, Asia, Africa, etc.) and under their restrictions is not something I could have experience with. But that is good to know about problems if there are issues for some other countries. After all it's just over a year old. If there are issues then I hopefully there are easy fixes.

Last edited:
I hope there is a fix.

I hope so too. This discovery doesn't make RT-AX86U the best router Asus ever made. The best router in terms of reliability Asus ever made and still the most popular is RT-AC68U. Look at Asuswrt-Merlin download stats after new firmware release. This same router is still manufactured today and is the main developing platform for Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. What you get on your RT-AX86U was first tested on RT-AC68U.

Folks used to say the same for RT-AC86U in 2017. Now I use dead RT-AC86Us for donor boards in order to repair some for fun. Let's talk about how good it is 2 years from now. It's made in a very similar way as RT-AC86U and now one of the most trusted SNB members discovered crashing Wi-Fi with logs hidden in Asuswrt. Sounds perfect, isn't it? Throw it on the market, get the money, fix it later. Same scenario as RT-AC86U. Some things never change.
There is always Netgear or Linksys. @Tech9 It's never too late for you to jump ship. However I would recommend a life preserver.

I hope so too. This discovery doesn't make RT-AX86U the best router Asus ever made. The best router in terms of reliability Asus ever made and still the most popular is RT-AC68U. Look at Asuswrt-Merlin download stats after new firmware release. This same router is still manufactured today and is the main developing platform for Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. What you get on your RT-AX86U was first tested on RT-AC68U.
Not at all from my own experiences. The RT-AC68U was a decent router when it came out but unfortunately that router and it's variations (like the 1900P) suffered consistent 5Ghz range drop-offs, Wifi connection problems on both bands, and other inconsistencies. Persistent problems with the RT-AC68U was a big reason I swapped them all out with new AX86Us. I have a stack of those "great reliable" AC68U routers unused in my closet. I'll either give them to a friend or sell them for whatever I can get on Ebay.

Last edited:
@Tech9 It's never too late for you to jump ship.

Done long time ago. At home I use Netgate firewall, managed switch and Ruckus access points. I have an apartment as well, I plan to use an RT-AC1900P there. I only do electronics repairs as a hobby. Most routers I manage to repair go back for recycling, some I keep in my "survivors" collection. Currently about 26x different routers, 12x are Asus models.

suffered consistent 5Ghz range drop-offs, Wifi connection problems, and other inconsistencies.

I have one and it's perfect. I even replaced the LEDs recently to make it look better. I would pick RT-AC1900P over any new HND router. This one I plan to use in my apartment, 300Mbps ISP line there, fits perfectly. I also have 3x repaired RT-AC86U and they will go for recycling soon. I may keep one for further HND platform Asuswrt-Merlin experimenting. The best 2017 router "Asus ever made" is a total waste of time and money.

@Tech9 I get that you like the AC68U and it's variations. I've got at least seven of them collecting dust. I liked them for a few years but I had nothing but intermittent problems with the range and connectivity. Family members, friends and guests that connected their clients to them would complain over and over about the Wifi dropping on them. This went on for years. I dealt with it because it "mostly" worked ok and they were Asus. Then came along the AX86U and all those problems magically disappeared. The 5Ghz range anxiety went away and the performance improvement (mostly less latency/lag) was immediately very noticeable.

The AC66U I have is the original non-B1 model so it's really one of the old ones.

This is my setup too. Unless you want and all in one router to take over the routing functions from Pfsense, you may be better served and save a lot of money by looking at pure access point devices that meet your wifi needs. I don't need any wifi capabilities beyond what my AC86U capably provides for the foreseeable future. Don't waste your money.
That's what I thought. I fell like I'dbe buying a router with features that I won't be even using. I another home, I use Ubiquiti access points and they've been great so far.

Other than AC86U, do you have any recommended AX access points?

Can that not be easily fixed with a firmware upgrade eventually? It's a driver issue anyway.

Which Ruckus AP do you use?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!