What's new

Upgrading RT-AC66U to either RT-AX68U or RT-AX86U, worth it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The 5Ghz range anxiety went away and the performance improvement (mostly less latency/lag) was immediately very noticeable.

I know, it's a 7y newer model after all. What I have doubts about is the reliability. This is something we both don't know yet.

It's a driver issue anyway.

I don't know what the issue is and when it is going to be fixed. If it's driver related, Broadcom has to release the fix, not Asus.

I know, it's a 7y newer model after all. What I have doubts about is the reliability. This is something we both don't know yet.
Yes, agreed. One would hope that 7 years of Asus router hardware, radio and software advancements make a difference. I can't make a judgement call about the AX86U's future reliability. I can say with absolute certainty that for this past year and up until now it has been I best Asus wireless router I have ever owned (previously N66Us, AC68Us, AC1900P).

ZoneFlex R610. They have newer ones, very expensive. The cheapest Wi-Fi 6 SMB AP is perhaps Ubiquiti WiFi 6 Lite.
I see. Yeah, saw those Ubiquiti wifi 6 AP's too. I'm wondering if they are on par with the AX86U's performance though. I use Ubiquiti AC-Lite AP's in another home and they do just fine. They're not the fastest though.

best Asus wireless router I have ever owned

This is a different statement. Unfortunately, all manufacturers in consumer segment do the same thing over and over again - sell the product almost working in order to beat the competition and get the money, fix it later. If not too many customers notice or complain, just continue selling. You know AC88U used to be a flagship model. Do you know how many routers were shipped with advertised, but non-working MU-MIMO? It wasn't working on a SoC level. How many customers have noticed? Consumers think $250 router is expensive. It's a $100 hardware for router, switch and access point. Aruba AP-515 WiFi 6 AP only is $500.

I'm wondering if they are on par with the AX86U's performance though.

What is "performance" in first place? Some home routers are fast to single client when you do Speedtest, some business APs can serve 200 clients simultaneously. What performance do you need in numbers? How fast, how many clients, what clients? Home router may or may not be the best performance hardware for your needs.

So I'm using my AC66U (w/ Merlin FW) as a mere access point in my 60sqm. condo. I have pfSense for all my network's routing functions. The AC66U has been running great for the most part but I fell that it'a a real old router that "might" need an upgrade.

What is your ISP speed? You may get the latest and greatest AP for $1300 and see no improvement whatsoever.

My ISP subscription is 200Mbps down/200Mbps up. I definitely won't spend $800/$1300 for an AP. I guess I'm looking for the best bang-for-the-buck AP That can replace my AC66U (if it even makes sense to do an upgrade).

We're only two people in the condo and just maybe a max of 10 clients or so.

My ISP subscription is 200Mbps down/200Mbps up.

Save your money. Your current AC66U can do 200Mbps no problem. I would run latest Asuswrt firmware from 02/2021 on it. You don't need Merlin on an AP. 200Mbps ISP is excellent for 2 people. I don't know why you even think upgrading to AX. It won't improve anything for you.

Save your money. Your current AC66U can do 200Mbps no problem. I would run latest Asuswrt firmware from 02/2021 on it. You don't need Merlin on an AP. 200Mbps ISP is excellent for 2 people. I don't know why you even think upgrading to AX. It won't improve anything for you.
I just thought of the idea. It's just one of those "because I can" moments, lol. And is why I posted here first because I know arguments from different people will help me in my decision.

On another note, would getting a used AC68U or AC86U make sense? The only thing I don't like with my AC66U is that its plastic case is damaged/cracked all over probably because of heat and humidity in my tropical country. I know that doesn't affect its performance though.

AC86U is an excellent performer, but has reported reliability and overheating issues. It won't do well in your tropical country. AC68U is very reliable, but older model now. It will improve your Wi-Fi connection just a little. If it's "because I can", get AX86U and enjoy the red accents on it. I don't know what this pfSense is doing there for 2 people. Use the new AX86U as router, it will save space and power.

Replacing what you know works with a used anything doesn't make sense to me.

See post 2, for all the guidance you'll ever need for this non-needed 'upgrade' you're trying to convince yourself of. :D

AC86U is an excellent performer, but has reported reliability and overheating issues. It won't do well in your tropical country. AC68U is very reliable, but older model now. It will improve your Wi-Fi connection just a little. If it's "because I can", get AX86U and enjoy the red accents on it. I don't know what this pfSense is doing there for 2 people. Use the new AX86U as router, it will save space and power.
Ok, got it.

I'm in IT and pfsense does a lot for me but mainly it is used for a site-to-site wireguard VPN tunnel between my parent's home (800/800 ISP sub) and mine. It's also there for easy policy-based routing for some of my docker containers. You know how it is when you have your own "home lab".

YReYeahlacing what you know works with a used anything doesn't make sense to me.

See post 2, for all the guidance you'll ever need for this non-needed 'upgrade' you're trying to convince yourself of. :D
Yeah, well, this thread is more of a preparation for what I would need to buy when I need to in the future. For example, when I upgrade my phone to one that is wifi 6, I would want to be experiencing AX speeds even if it's just for local file transfers.

Does the RT-AX86U ever go on sale?

You know how it is when you have your own "home lab".

Yes, I got rid of it few years back. It was 200kg server rack. It's an addiction and I had to do something about it. The replacement equipment I can carry in a bag, the performance is the same, I have more time for other things. Like poking inside routers and posting in this forum, for example. :)

when I upgrade my phone to one that is wifi 6, I would want to be experiencing AX speeds

What is this phone going to do with Gigabit Wi-Fi?

This is a different statement. Unfortunately, all manufacturers in consumer segment do the same thing over and over again - sell the product almost working in order to beat the competition and get the money, fix it later. If not too many customers notice or complain, just continue selling. You know AC88U used to be a flagship model. Do you know how many routers were shipped with advertised, but non-working MU-MIMO? It wasn't working on a SoC level. How many customers have noticed? Consumers think $250 router is expensive. It's a $100 hardware for router, switch and access point. Aruba AP-515 WiFi 6 AP only is $500.

The AX86U is the best router I have ever owned and in my opinion it is one of the best wireless routers Asus has ever made. I will even go as far to say that overall it IS the best consumer wireless router Asus has ever made and in the near future it will be seen as the best wireless routers ever made up until it's time of release.

I consider all the aspects when I state this opinion: price, performance especially in the 5Ghz range, manages many wireless clients well, reliability, features, flexibility, even the design and footprint.

If it's not the best then name an Asus wireless router that overall is better...

AXE11000U? very expensive, too new, reported buggy and the reliability suspect, huge footprint
AX11000U? reliability suspect, much more expensive, huge footprint
AX88U? reliability suspect, more expensive, measured Wifi 5Ghz performance not as good (recent SNB tests)
AC86U? No AX, No 2.5GbE port, good but overall reliability suspect in comparison
AC68U and variants? per previous discussion... seven year old technology, No AX, lesser hardware, per my experience... Wifi range and connection reliability suspect.

The main negative against the AX86U is... No Wifi 6E/AXE and arguably it's got a high price tag for many average buyers.

That about summarizes it.

If you can come up with a better single Asus consumer wireless router that they have ever made up until now I'd like to know your opinion.

Last edited:
Yeah, well, this thread is more of a preparation for what I would need to buy when I need to in the future. For example, when I upgrade my phone to one that is wifi 6, I would want to be experiencing AX speeds even if it's just for local file transfers.

Does the RT-AX86U ever go on sale?

Post 2 answers that too. Ask then. :

Yes, the RT-AX86U does go on sale. I buy as many as I can (locally) because they are pre-sold. Have you not read any of @SoCalReviews posts here? :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!