What's new

Upgrading to AX from AC questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dijake

New Around Here
Hi all.

Because I'm an upgrade junkie I am going from AC to AX.

I currently have two RT-AC88U's(One is the main one connected to the modem and the one the Xyzel FW is connected to) and one RT-AC86U.

Can anyone explain the steps I need to take to switch these to an RT-AX88U(main) and two RT-AX86U's?

Thanks in advance.

@dijake, welcome to the forums.

But, why mix the older RT-AX88U with the lower latency RT-AX86U's? If you need extra LAN Ports, buy a $20 switch instead. :)

Buy 3x RT-AX86U's.

Flash RMerlin firmware 386.1 Beta 5 or later on each one.

Perform a WPS reset on each after flashing the firmware above.

Do not import any old backup config files to configure them.

Do not 'blindly' put in any old settings, scripts, or other options that may no longer be applicable or appropriate to the new hardware.

Configure the main router with the suggestions below for maximum stability and the highest performance.

New M&M 2020

M&M 2020 Specifics

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

Two AX86U Aimesh @2.5G Ethernet backhaul possible? | SmallNetBuilder Forums

@dijake, welcome to the forums.

But, why mix the older RT-AX88U with the lower latency RT-AX86U's? If you need extra LAN Ports, buy a $20 switch instead. :)

Buy 3x RT-AX86U's.

Flash RMerlin firmware 386.1 Beta 5 or later on each one.

Perform a WPS reset on each after flashing the firmware above.

Do not import any old backup config files to configure them.

Do not 'blindly' put in any old settings, scripts, or other options that may no longer be applicable or appropriate to the new hardware.

Configure the main router with the suggestions below for maximum stability and the highest performance.

New M&M 2020

M&M 2020 Specifics

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

Two AX86U Aimesh @2.5G Ethernet backhaul possible? | SmallNetBuilder Forums
Thank you @L&LD .

I will do 3 of the AX86U's. All will be ethernet backhauled. Is there an easy way of setting them up (Like plugging one in and then going through the "add node" option from the GUI or do I have to start from scratch?

As stated in my original post the main one is connected to a firewall and I am unfamiliar with that aspect (I had someone add that for me). I'm not a noob but don't know about the finer details of networking.

Thanks again.

Is it just a firewall or a router also? Is this firewall the only thing attached to the modem/ONT? You may need assistance from others if it isn't. Or the person who originally helped you with it. It will help others to specify exactly which one it is too.

If it is also a router, then simply make the first (main) router an 'AiMesh Router in AP mode'.

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX95Q - Operation Mode

Then, after you have fully configured your main RT-AX86U and are satisfied with its performance, simply go to the GUI and 'Add an AiMesh node', pointing to a WPS reset RT-AX86U router you have on and waiting for you.

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX95Q - AiMesh

The main Asus is set to AP now.

The setup goes - Modem>Firewall>AC88U:

1611789836318.png
I
I'll give this a try this weekend. With my luck, it'll turn into a very time consuming project. :D

Thanks again for your help!!

How about RT-AX86U as the main router and RT-AX68U as mesh nodes or access points? Is that a sensible setup? This is what I am considering, coming from an AC86U main router and an AC68U in access point mode (wired backhaul).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!