What's new

USB Application Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smartbits

Occasional Visitor
I have connected an external hard drive to my RT-AX82U router to set up a media server and it worked. However, what I'd like to do is add more files to this external hard drive, which is connected to my router but I'm not able to copy any files when using Windows explorer.

Is there a way to do this or will I need to disconnect the external hard drive from my router and then connect it to my PC in order to transfer files to it or rename files?

You need to enable the SMBv1 Client in Windows as noted on the router's Samba page to see the drive in Explorer. You also need to have setup the correct permissions for the folders to be able to write to them.

And your files on the drive need to be in folders or directories. Files in the root of the drive can not be accessed by a Windows file explorer.

You need to enable the SMBv1 Client in Windows as noted on the router's Samba page to see the drive in Explorer. You also need to have setup the correct permissions for the folders to be able to write to them.

Hi,

I did follow the instructions in the router's manual.

I went to General --> USB Application --> Network Place (Samba Share)
Enabled Share
Created users and gave RW & R permissions

But even when I'm logged in as admin on my PC, I can not modify any of the files or add files.

edit: smb1 is also enabled in windows.

Last edited:
Hi,

I did follow the instructions in the router's manual.

I went to General --> USB Application --> Network Place (Samba Share)
Enabled Share
Created users and gave RW & R permissions

But even when I'm logged in as admin on my PC, I can not modify any of the files or add files.

edit: smb1 is also enabled in windows.
Try creating a test folder through the router's Samba GUI.

Try creating a test folder through the router's Samba GUI.
I can create the test folder through the router's Samba GUI and I can access it with the user account I created but I still can not copy anything over to the folder.

I realize that this is probably a user error issue but I don't know what I have configured incorrectly.

Update: Thanks guys, I will look into this further.

As a media server, everything works well. The only issue is that I can't edit or add new files to the shared folders while the external hard drive is connected to the router. For now, I will just connect the drive to my PC when I need to make changes.

I've seen problems like this before when the drive is formatted as NTFS and the contents were created on a Windows PC prior to being plugged into the router. Some sort of NTFS file ownership issue.

You could try resetting the permissions on the drive by logging into the router using SSH and issuing the following command:
Code:
chmod -R 777 /tmp/mnt/MyUSB
Change MyUSB to match whatever volume label your USB drive is mounted with.

Last edited:
I've seen problems like this before when the drive is formatted as NTFS and the contents were created on a Windows PC prior to being plugged into the router. Some sort of NTFS file ownership issue.

You could try resetting the permissions on the drive by logging into the router using SSH and issuing the following command:
Code:
chmod -R 777 /tmp/mnt/MyUSB
Change MyUSB to match whatever volume label your USB drive is mounted with.
Interesting. It is formatted as NTFS and the content was already on the drive before I plugged it into the router so that could be it.

Thanks I will look into this.