What's new

USB Attached Storage speed reduced.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nick_J

Occasional Visitor
Reading speed from the USB drive to MAC usually gets 90-100MB/s but right now it only gets 50-70MB/s
and the same on Windows 10, Windows 10 usually gets 100-110MB/s but right now it only gets 80MB/s

-USB storage connected to RT-AC86U in USB 3.0 mode
-OSX 10.15.7
-Windows 10
-Merlin 386.2
-QOS disabled

Thank you.

Is there a question here? :)

@Nick_J, your router's hardware is slower than current Raspberry Pi. The option to attach an USB device is for convenience, not for performance. It will never come close to NAS performance and will never match USB3 ports performance on a PC/MAC computer.

Of course stupid question time. Were you using the USB 3.0 or the USB 2.0 port? I assume USB 3.0 but figured best to ask to be sure. :)

The drive used could be a factor. How the computer is connected to the Asus router (wifi or wired) is a definite factor. But like said above one typically doesn't get steller speeds from the USB ports on routers. They are typically there as a convivence. Personally on a number of routers with USB ports I've never gotten high read/write speeds comparable to attaching the drive to a computer. Likely due to the poor hardware in the routers.

There are YouTube two videos of simple file copying to show general speeds of the USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports on the AC86U.

Last edited:
Of course stupid question time. Were you using the USB 3.0 or the USB 2.0 port? I assume USB 3.0 but figured best to ask to be sure. :)

The drive used could be a factor. How the computer is connected to the Asus router (wifi or wired) is a definite factor. But like said above one typically doesn't get steller speeds from the USB ports on routers. They are typically there as a convivence. Personally on a number of routers with USB ports I've never gotten high read/write speeds comparable to attaching the drive to a computer. Likely due to the poor hardware in the routers.

There are YouTube two videos of simple file copying to show general speeds of the USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports on the AC86U.
I'm using USB 3.0. Both Windows and MAC clients connected to the router through LAN.

The problem is several months ago I used to get 90-100MB/s on MAC and 100-110MB/s on Windows but recently I only get 50-70MB/s on MAC and 80MB/s on Windows.

Before and after the speed dropped the router tested with little internet traffic.

It appears to be a speed dropped

Is there a question here? :)
I apologize for being wasn't clear. The problem is the reading speed dropped for no reason, SAMBA and FTP. I've tested through MAC builtin file transfer and 3rd party FTP File Manager ForkLift3.

What is the USB storage device?
Dual Bay HDD enclosure in JBOD mode.
I've also tested with a single USB flash Drive and the reading speed was about the same, it maxed out around 60 MB/s on MAC.

Several months ago I used to get around 90-100MB/s.

The read (or write) speeds are not a given constant. Many factors are involved, including the file type, file size, physical location on the drive, the level of fragmentation, and the network traffic/use and client device(s) requesting or sending those files are all just part of the constantly moving equation.

As mentioned above, a grossly underpowered consumer router (at least grossly underpowered for USB transfers) is not meant as the primary method to do a lot of file-transferring from/to.

Some of the other factors involved here are the loads the router is currently experiencing (whether or not we think the loads have increased for them), and the closed source blobs that handle that aspect of our routers may have been compiled with new/different flags.

Sorry, but the answer is mostly 'it is what it is', now.

I would consider yourself lucky to ever achieve those kinds of speeds in the first place (even if only for a few months).

If you need fast network storage, you need a NAS with 4 bays or more. Ideally with greater than 1GbE connections back to a switch that connects your most-used PCs (most-used for storage transfers). With greater than 1GbE ports on those client devices too, of course.

I would consider yourself lucky to ever achieve those kinds of speeds in the first place

Indeed. I'm testing now an external portable HDD and it peaks at 68MB/s with large files and drops to zero with a bunch of small files. I can see the router struggling at 100% Core 2 and 28MB RAM left. Samba is perhaps using Core 2. Core 1 peaks at 70% and there is some dancing on the CPU graph. What I see happening is cache/offload/wait/repeat cycles. The UI is less responsive and I'm assuming other common router tasks slow down. The same HDD connected to my laptop peaks at 120MB/s and slows down with small files, but continues going without any transfer drops.

i have this issue on ax86u the download and upload speed is capped at about 50MB\s on samba, i feel scammed all benchmarks show +100MB\s speeds, i use a usb 3.1 m2 rack(Orico M2L2-NV03C3) with a wd blue ssd.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online