What's new

USB Devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

agbommarito

Occasional Visitor
I've been using Asuswrt-Merlin for some time now. I have a USB disk attached. It has always been /dev/sda1. I recently bought a second USB disk and installed it.

The issue is when the router reboots, sometimes the two disks are /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. Other times they are /dev/sda1 and dev/sdc1. This causes a minor inconvenience in the disk spindown menu because I want to select the two disks I have for spindown and not have error messages for the third disk that isn't installed.

Does anyone know a way to force the two disks to be /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1?

By the way, what is the third device for? The internal SD Card?

Just got curious about this too. Saw my typically-sda2 go to sdb2 when the first couple of times to mount were unsuccessful due to errors (from an incorrect disconnection before). After the automatic repair, it went to sdb2 for me.

Give your volumes a label. The router will then mount them using their label rather than their device name.

Both drives do have a label, and the router does mount them with the label. That keeps everything working right for Samba sharing.

But the Tools->Other Settings menu uses sda/sdb/sdc for exclusion of drives for spindown. So if a reboot causes a drive to move, there will be a disconnect between the intended excluded drive and where the two drives were mounted.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!