What's new

USB drive under linux

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What SMB version do you have set on the router? Try setting it the SMBv1 only.
I have 1 & 2, tried just 1 but same thing.

It's ironic that the router firmware is based on Linux and I'm on a linux distro and can't get this to work :rolleyes:

was wondering, a firewall issue perhaps? I have ifw enabled

Last edited:
Google tells me that the default SMB version changed in Kubuntu. Try with "vers=1.0".

sudo mount -t cifs -o vers=1.0,username=Geoff //192.168.50.1/Archives /mnt

Google tells me that the default SMB version changed in Kubuntu. Try with "vers=1.0".

sudo mount -t cifs -o vers=1.0,username=Geoff //192.168.50.1/Archives /mnt

well I tried that and no longer get the mount error but still can't see the drive

well I tried that and no longer get the mount error but still can't see the drive
Interesting. Where are you looking? What you have done (hopefully) is the equivalent of a Windows mapped drive. So look in /mnt.

ls /mnt

Interesting. Where are you looking? What you have done (hopefully) is the equivalent of a Windows mapped drive. So look in /mnt.

ls /mnt
yeah that brings up the contents of what I have but I was looking under "Network" where I was previously before I changed the device name in the router, I just don't get this. You've gone above and beyond and is so appreciated, I think I'll just stand down for awhile and come back to this.

edit: oh boy, I just now found it under "Devices" :rolleyes:

I still don't understand why it isn't under "Network" as it is in Windows

Sounds like a good plan. I'm all out of ideas anyway. The solution to your browsing issue will require input from someone with experience of Kubuntu (which isn't me). Hopefully someone will chime in with the answer.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm all out of ideas anyway. The solution to your browsing issue will require input from someone with experience of Kubuntu (which isn't me). Hopefully someone will chime in with the answer.
Thanks m8, it's probably way past your bed time too ;)

edit: oh boy, I just now found it under "Devices" :rolleyes:

I still don't understand why it isn't under "Network" as it is in Windows
Well curiosity got the better of me :rolleyes:. So I downloaded Kubuntu 18.04 Desktop and booted it up.

I could see all my Windows shares straight away. I opened up Dolphin and went to "Network". From there I opened "Samba Shares" (not "Network") and then I could see my workgroup name. Opened that and I could see all of my network machines including my router (Rt-ac68u). Opened that and could see my share (ASUS). Opened that and could see my files.

BTW. The reason you can also see your share under "Devices" is because you manually mounted the share from the command line. So Kubuntu thinks it's a device attached to your PC, like a HDD or USB drive.

Well curiosity got the better of me :rolleyes:. So I downloaded Kubuntu 18.04 Desktop and booted it up.

I could see all my Windows shares straight away. I opened up Dolphin and went to "Network". From there I opened "Samba Shares" (not "Network") and then I could see my workgroup name. Opened that and I could see all of my network machines including my router (Rt-ac68u). Opened that and could see my share (ASUS). Opened that and could see my files.

BTW. The reason you can also see your share under "Devices" is because you manually mounted the share from the command line. So Kubuntu thinks it's a device attached to your PC, like a HDD or USB drive.
are you in a VM by chance? I reinstalled and still can't see anything. I'd rather be able to browse than mounting manually, this is just too much.

So I went back in router and set the protocol to SMBv1 only and browsing works now, thanks for your patience and for staying with me on this.

Last edited:
So I went back in router and set the protocol to SMBv1 only and browsing works now,
That's good news :). Out of interest what did you have your SMB protocol set to before? Was it "SMBv2" or "SMBv1 + SMBv2"? The network browsing is a feature of SMBv1 so if you had it set to SMBv2-only then it wouldn't work.

That's good news :). Out of interest what did you have your SMB protocol set to before? Was it "SMBv2" or "SMBv1 + SMBv2"? The network browsing is a feature of SMBv1 so if you had it set to SMBv2-only then it wouldn't work.
I had SMBv1+SMBv2, currently now at SMBv1 only. What is the story anyhow with SMBv2, I'm not up to speed but see much discussion on this, is SMBv2 a new protocol? Also, do you use UFW FW or a more dedicated solution? I had UFW enabled and it blocked the browsing playing into my issues a bit, so this thread I found helped in this regard

Last edited:
I had SMBv1+SMBv2, currently now at SMBv1 only.
OK That's interesting. I remember someone else posting that they had problems with network browsing when set to SMBv1+SMBv2. A bug maybe.

If you have the time it might be useful if you could set your router back to SMBv1+SMBv2 and then SSH into the router and type "cat /etc/smb.conf". The output might show us what the problem is.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...ng-created-for-samba-share.46462/#post-403719

SMBv2 isn't new by any means but it's become an issue recently because Microsoft disabled SMBv1 support in recent versions of Windows 10. That meant that suddenly people couldn't see their network drives in Windows Explorer. After a spate of global ransomeware attacks that devastated large companies, that were spread internally though weaknesses of SMBv1, Microsoft decided to disable SMBv1 via Windows Update rather then hoping that people would do it themselves.

Regarding UFW; I've never used/seen it. Like I said, I don't use Kubuntu or Ubuntu. I have a Centos server but it doesn't have its firewall enabled because it's only used for internal services.

Last edited:
OK That's interesting. I remember someone else posting that they had problems with network browsing when set to SMBv1+SMBv2. A bug maybe.

If you have the time it might be useful if you could set your router back to SMBv1+SMBv2 and then SSH into the router and type "cat /etc/smb.conf". The output might show us what the problem is.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...ng-created-for-samba-share.46462/#post-403719

SMBv2 isn't new by any means but it's become an issue recently because Microsoft disabled SMBv1 support in recent versions of Windows 10. That meant that suddenly people couldn't see their network drives in Windows Explorer. After a spate of global ransomeware attacks that devastated large companies, that were spread internally though weaknesses of SMBv1, Microsoft decided to disable SMBv1 via Windows Update rather then hoping that people would do it themselves.

Regarding UFW; I've never used/seen it. Like I said, I don't use Kubuntu or Ubuntu. I have a Centos server but it doesn't have its firewall enabled because it's only used for internal services.
I have yet to find a solution to get this to work with UFW enabled, otherwise if disabled works fine. I just want it to work from within my network.

Make sense I suppose. I guess the Samba "profile" is for allowing access to a Samba server running on the Kubuntu machine, which is not your situation.

Make sense I suppose. I guess the Samba "profile" is for allowing access to a Samba server running on the Kubuntu machine, which is not your situation.
I was curious though, with the extended syntax not working, was I to list it this way? My LAN IP is 192.168.50.1

this:
ufw allow from 192.168.50.1/24 to any app Samba (didn't work)

or this:
ufw allow from 192.168.50.0/24 to any app Samba

or this:
ufw allow from 192.168.0.0/24 to any app Samba

Last edited:
As I said, I believe the reason it didn't work was because the "app" assumes the Samba server is running on your PC. So what you ended up doing was allowing in all traffic from the router. Without knowing what your current firewall rules are I couldn't begin to guess what to problem was.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!