What's new

amtm USB drives failing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also, I think a physically larger drive, with something at least 32gb, plugged into the USB2 port, has a better chance of surviving. I don't think putting it on an extension makes much difference. Nothing to base that on though.

@bitmonster Thanks for the extra log. Unfortunately it only confirms what we already knew, that the drive has locked itself into read-only mode.

The have been a few reports of flash drives doing this recently. There was one here 6 days ago. Once it happens there's nothing you can do about it. Even if you plug it into a PC you can't reformat it.

I don't think this is a fault of the router, rather just the poor quality of flash drives being produced. I experienced the same issue with two brand new Sandisk drives. I took them out of the packaging and plugged it into my PC. The first one locked itself the second time I wrote to it. The second drive locked itself straight away. Compare that to my draw full of old flash drives from about 10 years ago that are still going strong.

@bitmonster Thanks for the extra log. Unfortunately it only confirms what we already knew, that the drive has locked itself into read-only mode.

The have been a few reports of flash drives doing this recently. There was one here 6 days ago. Once it happens there's nothing you can do about it. Even if you plug it into a PC you can't reformat it.

I don't think this is a fault of the router, rather just the poor quality of flash drives being produced. I experienced the same issue with two brand new Sandisk drives. I took them out of the packaging and plugged it into my PC. The first one locked itself the second time I wrote to it. The second drive locked itself straight away. Compare that to my draw full of old flash drives from about 10 years ago that are still going strong.

Which is exactly what happened to me. Those Toshiba supermarket cheapies are now in the bin and replaced with 12 year old 8GB Corsair stick and it's now fine.

So I will need to get a newer better stick soon - any recommendations for brand and can I copy from old to new stick?

Which is exactly what happened to me. Those Toshiba supermarket cheapies are now in the bin and replaced with 12 year old 8GB Corsair stick and it's now fine.

So I will need to get a newer better stick soon - any recommendations for brand and can I copy from old to new stick?
I think I've said it here too on page 1 or something. But tldr . Get a good usb to micro usb adapter and get Sandisk max endurance 32gb card. It's cheap enough and should last ages for a router. It could handle 150TBW++ by their ratings. So tbh this should be on a sticky note somewhere since it's cheap enough and it's definitely durable enough for years and years of usage. If you need more higher rating, get the 64gig one. It's even higher in TBW..

I think I've said it here too on page 1 or something. But tldr . Get a good usb to micro usb adapter and get Sandisk max endurance 32gb card. It's cheap enough and should last ages for a router. It could handle 150TBW++ by their ratings. So tbh this should be on a sticky note somewhere since it's cheap enough and it's definitely durable enough for years and years of usage. If you need more higher rating, get the 64gig one. It's even higher in TBW..

Can you recommend any usb to micro usb adapter brands from experience, also do you mean micro sd?

Can you recommend any usb to micro usb adapter brands from experience, also do you mean micro sd?
Yes micro sd. Sorry I forgot the "sd" part haha. I mean anything is good. Get one with good reviews. Usb 3 one usually is nice. Even tho I always run it in usb 2 since I don't want 2.4ghz interference.. tho even in usb 2 , 40MB per sec is still fast enough tbh

I don't mean to butt in and hijack the thread, but is there any need for anything bigger than, say, 32 Gb? I have a Sandisk 32 Gb Ultra fit, and it don't ever appear to be using but about 10%, but I don't know. Is something going on behind the scenes that I can't see. and should I/we upgrade to something bigger?

I don't mean to butt in and hijack the thread, but is there any need for anything bigger than, say, 32 Gb? I have a Sandisk 32 Gb Ultra fit, and it don't ever appear to be using but about 10%, but I don't know. Is something going on behind the scenes that I can't see. and should I/we upgrade to something bigger?
To be honest. No afaik. That's why I use the 32gb Sandisk max endurance. It's TBW is so high it should be fine . And the capacity is more than enough. Although with normal usb, getting higher capacities will mean more life since usually the endurance rating is higher than in lower capacities memory. Oh and you might want to change that sandisk fit. Mine died . After just a 1tb write inside the router. Same 32gb model too. So yeah . Better to just use micro-sd to USB adapter with that sandisk max endurance micro-sd . 32gb Will get you 150++ TBW. it's a set and forget kind of thing

To be honest. No afaik. That's why I use the 32gb Sandisk max endurance. It's TBW is so high it should be fine . And the capacity is more than enough. Although with normal usb, getting higher capacities will mean more life since usually the endurance rating is higher than in lower capacities memory. Oh and you might want to change that sandisk fit. Mine died . After just a 1tb write inside the router. Same 32gb model too. So yeah . Better to just use micro-sd to USB adapter with that sandisk max endurance micro-sd . 32gb Will get you 150++ TBW. it's a set and forget kind of thing

Thanks, that suits me fine. I had one going bad, or I thought, so I got the little stubby because it didn't stick out where it might get hit with something.
I've had good success with the micro SD cards in other devices.

I've had bad experiences with the little Sandisk Fit, particularly using it as a FreeNAS boot disk. I think USB3 + frequent writes + little heat dissipation capacity is a bad mix. Save it for laptops.

Can I copy my data from the fit usb to the sandisk max sd if it is formatted properly with a windows computer?
Or do I need to start over with swap file, etc?
tia

It is so much easier and more stable to just start over properly instead.

It is so much easier and more stable to just start over properly instead.
I kinda figured that. That's what I did last time. Hopefully leave the gremlins behind.

Are you guy using the "everything but the stromboni" adapter that comes with the micro sd card? Or something else?

Are there some recommended micro-sd to USB adapters? Going to Microcenter today. The don't have SanDisk Max Endurance, but they have Samsung Pro Endurance. Seems similar but it is uhs 1.

Copying my reply from another thread :

Actually. You don't need an SSD . Just use a good micro-sd to USB adapter with the new SanDisk Max Endurance lineup. 32gb is quite cheap and the TBW is about 150++ . 40MBps/40MBps on USB 2 is more than enough. More on USB 3 ofc. With that good of TBW it's a set and forget drive for scripts etc. If you need higher TBW , get the higher capacity ones. But I reckon 150++ TBW is more than enough.

Are there some recommended micro-sd to USB adapters? Going to Microcenter today. The don't have SanDisk Max Endurance, but they have Samsung Pro Endurance. Seems similar but it is uhs 1.
Anything is fine. I'm using an Orico one. Pretty cheap it's usually for usb 3 to micro sd adapter (which works fast and nice on usb 3) but since we only need usb 2 to reduce interference well it's fine too . Anything is fine tbh. As long as its built nicely... Now the Samsung endurance one seems pretty good in endurance too. It's not as cheap here tho so ye . Either is fine. Did you get the 32gb one?

I'm using a Samsung 120GB SSD I got for cheap, under-allocated. 10GB for scripts & swap, 80GB for misc Samba files. Balance for the drive to do reallocation of any bad blocks, so hopefully it'll last the life of the router.

Anything is fine. I'm using an Orico one. Pretty cheap it's usually for usb 3 to micro sd adapter (which works fast and nice on usb 3) but since we only need usb 2 to reduce interference well it's fine too . Anything is fine tbh. As long as its built nicely... Now the Samsung endurance one seems pretty good in endurance too. It's not as cheap here tho so ye . Either is fine. Did you get the 32gb one?

I will be going soon. I love microcenter.
I am planning to price match microcenter.
Samsung pro endurance 32gb for $9 or 64gb for $15.....
How about this 99 cent usb2 adapter? Otherwise looking at $7-10.... https://www.microcenter.com/product/610960/ativa-microsd-card-reader---purple

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!