What's new

usb flash drive not detected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coderasm

New Around Here
I'm running 362.2_2 on an rt-ac3100. When I plugin a small 4gig thumb drive into either usb port it does not show up at all in the web interface or in the ssh terminal. Do I need to plug in a powered usb drive? I tried running amtm to format it and amtm said it could not find a usb device. I have never used the usb ports until now. I want to install diversion and skynet. I did already format the drive as ext4 on another box.

Welcome to the forums @coderasm.

Try using a different USB drive make.

Just tried 4 different thumb drives. None were recognized. amtm told me it could not find a compatible usb plugged in for all 4. Could there be a setting in the web interface which disables the usb ports? I've had this router for years, I may have disabled the usb ports if that option was available in the web interface.

There are no options to disable the USB sockets.

Re-Plug the USB drive and then look for messages in the router's system log similar to these:
Code:
Apr 19 02:25:49 kernel: usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Apr 19 02:25:49 kernel: hub 2-1:1.0: USB hub found
Apr 19 02:25:49 kernel: hub 2-1:1.0: 1 port detected
Apr 19 02:25:49 kernel: usb 2-1.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
Apr 19 02:25:49 kernel: scsi1 : usb-storage 2-1.1:1.0
Apr 19 02:25:50 kernel: scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     USB      2.0 Flash Drive  1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
Apr 19 02:25:50 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
Apr 19 02:25:50 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 2031616 512-byte logical blocks: (1.04 GB/992 MiB)
Apr 19 02:25:50 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Apr 19 02:25:50 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
Apr 19 02:25:50 kernel:  sdb:
Apr 19 02:25:50 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

Does the drive show up on the Network Map page?

Untitled.png

You are on RMerlin firmware 386.2_2, correct?

Did you perform a full reset to factory defaults recently? Without restoring a saved backup config file?

What different brands of USB drives have you tried?

@ColinTaylor there are no messages in the system log after re-plugging the drives back in. The web interface does not show a usb device plugged in.
@L&LD Yes I am on the newest version. I have not done a factory reset. I'll make a backup first and reset if you think I should. I have a mixture of pny and sandisk thumb drives I am using.

It is possible that the usb ports in your router have failed. You could try using a usb hub to see if that works. The reset suggested above would be a good thing to try though.

Tried the full reset. Still did not work. @dosborne yes the ports may have failed. I have never used them the whole time I've had the router. I will try a powered usb device next.

My ports never worked. I upgraded to a RT-AX86U. I'll use the ports on the new router and use the old rt-ac3100 as a secondary mesh router.

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to let you know that your offer for the Barcode Scan Engines sounds like a great deal for anyone looking for this type of equipment. Though it's a bit rare thing today, we have online services like smartengines.com for a quick scan. Anyway, It's always nice to see people repurposing and reselling items instead of just throwing them away.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!