1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

USB Idle timeout limit of 3600 seconds

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by dave14305, May 21, 2019.

1. dave14305

dave14305 Very Senior Member

Is there a technical reason for the GUI imposed limit of 3600 seconds for the USB idle spindown? The actual sd-idle tool has no upper limit to the best of my knowledge.

I’m my case I want to set it to 4200 because I have a PC that backs up hourly, so I’d prefer the timeout to be slightly greater than an hour to prevent sleep/wake until there is no more backup activity on successive hours.

Not a big deal, and not related to any new firmware version. Just an old curiosity.

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

I don't think there's a reason. John's firmware lets you enter values up to 43200.

Try setting it manually:

# nvram set usb_idle_timeout=4200
    # nvram commit

Although I guess that would mean that you couldn't "Apply" anything on that GUI page anymore (without setting a smaller number).

L&LD likes this.
  3. dave14305

I went that route, but the GUI enforces the 3600 when making other changes on the System page. It’s one of the small differences I miss from the fork! ;)

skeal likes this.
  4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

This was most likely done by Asus when they added it to the stock firmware, and their limitation was then merged into my code. I can increase that, but note that I cannot allow more than 9999 however, since the nvram max length for that parameter is four characters.

^Tripper^ and L&LD like this.
  5. dave14305

That would work just fine for me. Thanks.

L&LD likes this.