What's new

USB Idle timeout limit of 3600 seconds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
Is there a technical reason for the GUI imposed limit of 3600 seconds for the USB idle spindown? The actual sd-idle tool has no upper limit to the best of my knowledge.

I’m my case I want to set it to 4200 because I have a PC that backs up hourly, so I’d prefer the timeout to be slightly greater than an hour to prevent sleep/wake until there is no more backup activity on successive hours.

Not a big deal, and not related to any new firmware version. Just an old curiosity.

I don't think there's a reason. John's firmware lets you enter values up to 43200.

Try setting it manually:

# nvram set usb_idle_timeout=4200
# nvram commit

Although I guess that would mean that you couldn't "Apply" anything on that GUI page anymore (without setting a smaller number).

I don't think there's a reason. John's firmware lets you enter values up to 43200.

Try setting it manually:

# nvram set usb_idle_timeout=4200
# nvram commit
I went that route, but the GUI enforces the 3600 when making other changes on the System page. It’s one of the small differences I miss from the fork! ;)

This was most likely done by Asus when they added it to the stock firmware, and their limitation was then merged into my code. I can increase that, but note that I cannot allow more than 9999 however, since the nvram max length for that parameter is four characters.

This was most likely done by Asus when they added it to the stock firmware, and their limitation was then merged into my code. I can increase that, but note that I cannot allow more than 9999 however, since the nvram max length for that parameter is four characters.
That would work just fine for me. Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online