What's new

USB to Ethernet adapter killing network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dciarnie

Occasional Visitor
Work just provided me with a laptop with no ethernet port (Lenovo P1). Since I prefer the reliability of a wired connection to wireless for work-related activities, I picked up a QGeeM USB C to Ethernet adapter and connected it to a Netgear Ethernet over Power adapter. The Lenovo successfully connected to my network using the adapter and everything seemed fine until another laptop connected to the paired EoP adapter lost its network connection. Replugging the problem EoP adapter restored the connection but only temporarily.

I thought there might be some weird incompatibility between the QGeeM and the Netgear adapters so I tried connecting to an AiMesh node (RT-AX56U) instead. That seemed to resolve the problem until the next morning when I discovered that all wired connections to the mesh node were dead and, worse yet, restarting the node did not restore connectivity. I had to reset the node and reconnect to the main router to get it working again.

Anybody have any ideas as to what might be going on here and what resolution there might be?

Don't buy random xinese crap?
Never heard of that brand and you're not likely to get any support from it.
There's no way a USB Ethernet adapter should do what that thing has done.
Return if possible and buy something from a known company.

Work just provided me with a laptop with no ethernet port (Lenovo P1). Since I prefer the reliability of a wired connection to wireless for work-related activities, I picked up a QGeeM USB C to Ethernet adapter and connected it to a Netgear Ethernet over Power adapter. The Lenovo successfully connected to my network using the adapter and everything seemed fine until another laptop connected to the paired EoP adapter lost its network connection. Replugging the problem EoP adapter restored the connection but only temporarily.

I thought there might be some weird incompatibility between the QGeeM and the Netgear adapters so I tried connecting to an AiMesh node (RT-AX56U) instead. That seemed to resolve the problem until the next morning when I discovered that all wired connections to the mesh node were dead and, worse yet, restarting the node did not restore connectivity. I had to reset the node and reconnect to the main router to get it working again.

Anybody have any ideas as to what might be going on here and what resolution there might be?
Refund it. Don't trust reviews on Amazon. Those reviews are always for chinese items. Chinese sellers give them it for free or dirty cheap price with coupons. There are so many fake reviews with never heard of items. You can see over thousands reviews per item. Yes fake reviews.
Get this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GRL3VCN/?tag=snbforums-20
Don't forget major brands don't sell USB ethernet adapters except TP-LINK.
Almost all of USB ethernet adapters come from china.
Long term proved USB ethernet adapter(and related in USB) Brands on Amazon.
TP-LINK
Plugable
StarTech
Ugreen
Anker
Amazon basics

Last edited:
Or, simply order one directly from Lenovo. Warranty, support, and all.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!