What's new

USB-to-Ethernet Adapters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jennessr

New Around Here
Has anybody tried the new (I think) crop of USB-to-Ethernet Adapters available from Tiger, eBay, etc.? I always used to have 2 NICs on my laptop - one for the Internet/DHCP and one for testing the host of LAN stuff that crosses my desk. My new laptop has the half-size PCMCIA slot, so I decided to try the USB-to-Ethernet solution - under $10 from eBay, incl shipping. Problem is, the little adapter seems to be driverless. I can see the LED following the LAN traffic, but XP has no visibility to any ethernet interface. I've tried about a dozen combinations of internet, the supplied CD, Google, but no joy on drivers for XP. I've seen similar posts to the Tiger Direct product reviews (after I'd already received mine). Any help would be appreciated.

Rat Shack has a cheap USB to Ethernet dongle. Trendnet TU2-ET100. USB2.0 Has basic drivers on a CD that install in perhaps 5 seconds. I was impresed with the simplicity. It lacks a yellow light to show activity though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!