What's new

USB/Wireguard speed on TUF AX5400?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Krakadil

Occasional Visitor
I was about to buy a AX86U for 219€ -45€ but the price bump up, so I found the TUF AX5400 for half the price (119€ vs 249€) and maybe it is the better choice for me (I dont care how it looks).

I saw it will get Wireguard and now I need to know how it will perform over SAMBA/USB.
Thats what I found:

https://dongknows.com/wp-content/uploads/Router-based-NAS-Perf-Charts.png.webp
There is no AX5400 in list but it need to be like AX82U (same SoC) 73/56 MB/s

67/60 MB/s

113/109 MB/s

112/58 MB/s

89/44 MB/s

Which source I can trust?

The only way to know; test it yourself. In your own environment.

Note that half the price doesn't get you half the router. Probably closer to 1/4, in my experience.

I would wait for a sale on the RT-AX86U instead.

Thats not helpful. How is that possible?
I would wait for a sale on the RT-AX86U instead.
I just need two things... 1. Wireguard 2. USB/NAS with ok speeds (I will use it maybe 1x in few days for few MB's).

AC86U is about 100€ new, AX5400 just 20€ more and AX86U (I dont know why) bumps from 219€ with Asus promotion (-45€) to 249€ without Asus promotion. For what I understand the AX86U is a AC86U, with 2 cores more and AX.

Then you're misunderstanding.

USB/NAS with ok speeds

Asus routers crash when used as NAS with large transfers. Something is buggy in Asuswrt perhaps. Other models keep going. I've tested many routers and even my ISP provided one is more stable with USB attached storage than expensive Asus RT-AX88U. USB speeds only don't tell you the full story.

I will use it maybe 1x in few days for few MB's

This will work on any router, the speed won't matter much.

Last edited:
I bought both, first TUF AX5400
- rock solid
- very good WiFi
- NAS up to 59 MB/s
- OpenVPN 50 Mbit/s

AX86U
- rock solid
- 2.4 GHz not so good as AX5400 but covers more/better range (a lil bit)
- 5 GHz unreal good and 10 of 10 points
- NAS on 1G Port ~100 MB/s UP/write
- NAS on 2.5G Port ~120 MB/s write ~160 MB/s read
- OpenVPN +100 Mbit/s UP/+170 Mbit/s down
- Wireguard +500 Mbit/s UP/+600 Mbit/s down (use only 2 cores/last BETA firmware)

Got 1000/40 Mbit/s internet connection.
The TUF AX5400 would be fine but I get the AX86U cheaper than the AX5400 so there is no reason to keep it but I'm sure it would be more than enough.

@Krakadil

WG will perform better than OVPN. You need to focus on the processor for best results.

I built my own router so, there's no bottlenecks on performance. WG gets closer to wire speed on a gigabit plan. I did a speed comparison the other day and got 926/40 on WG and 1500/40 w/o. I've been able to hit similar 1500/40 speeds over WG on other VPN servers so, this one happens to be a bit more congested at the time of testing.

Second thing.... don't use a router as a NAS. While it's possible it's screams issues to come down the road. It's cheaper / convenient to do but, if data integrity is a high priority it's not a good idea. There are many different ways to make your own NAS if you find that sharing files over a network is something you would like and use often enough.

@Tech Junky that was my first idea. SFF PC and OpenWRT but I m to stupid for something like that.

My NAS is a HP T620 and I tweak it a lil bit, now it drains 6.3W - 6.8W and under full load ~11W

The NAS function on router I will use for Timeshift (backup tool).

If you can follow directions and ask for insight the SFF PC can do all of the stuff you're looking to do and do it better.

The T620 wouldn't be optimal for keeping things tidy but, it would be possible. Taking a DAS enclosure and plugging it into the T620 effectively gives you a NAS. For performance though I would put Linux on it to free up resources and gain more control of the HW.

Depending on the DAS though you could fill it with drives and implement Raid for redundancy / speed.

I got about 120mbps down on my gigabit internet connection with Protonvpn Free on a dutch server from Thailand. With openvpn the max speed is around 50mbps.
As i only use it to start up xcloud on my samsung tv, it's just fine.
On my non vpn connection i get around 930mbps

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!