What's new

Use DHCP, DNS, and Apps Only with a Merlin Enabled Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TabascoJoe

Occasional Visitor
I was recently gifted a WiFi-6 modem/router combo. Benefits... it's a WiFi-6 router with options to add satellite access points.
Drawbacks... everything else... very basic in what it can do. My old router was the AC68U.
I want to use the new router for WiFi 6 and a gateway (as its a DOCSIS 3.1) and the AC68U for everything else, i.e. local DNS Server, DHCP, Skynet, and Division.
I've trial and error a few setups, but none have worked....
With the AC68 on the network and enabling DHCP pointing to the new router as the Gateway, did not work.
Tried setting up the WAN as a static IP with NAT off, no go there.
Is it possible to use the AC68U as described above?

You can use the modem/router as your gateway device simply by having the Asus in router mode. What you won't be able to do is have the modem/router's WiFi and other LAN ports (and any clients connected to it) be part of the Asus' LAN because it will be on a different subnet.

You can use the modem/router as your gateway device simply by having the Asus in router mode. What you won't be able to do is have the modem/router's WiFi and other LAN ports (and any clients connected to it) be part of the Asus' LAN because it will be on a different subnet.

Very confused on your answer, I don't think this would work as i want clients to use features like skynet, diversion and using the asus as the local dns server. Sounds like your solution would not let the clients talk to the asus.

Sounds like your solution would not let the clients talk to the asus.
Clients would have to be connected to the Asus to take advantage of Skynet. Any client connected to the modem/router would not benefit from Skynet. Skynet is a firewall enhancement therefore it only works when the Asus is in router mode and only effects clients connected to the Asus' LAN.

The chain is modem - router - wireless AP, and you're trying to have the AC68U act as the router in that mix, but it doesn't work like that. You either let the new modem-router combo be just a DOCSIS modem and the AC68U handle the router + AP piece, or you have a separate modem, the AC68U handles routing, and the modem-router could be potentially used as an AP for its Wi-Fi 6 capabilities.

The chain is modem - router - wireless AP, and you're trying to have the AC68U act as the router in that mix, but it doesn't work like that. You either let the new modem-router combo be just a DOCSIS modem and the AC68U handle the router + AP piece, or you have a separate modem, the AC68U handles routing, and the modem-router could be potentially used as an AP for its Wi-Fi 6 capabilities.

I really just want to use the AC68U as a better DNS server than the one the new router has.
Can you route forwarded DNS queries out a LAN port?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!