What's new

Use Merlin cfg on stock firmware (aimesh issues)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pergola Fabio

Hi

i have setup an ac-88u main router and 2x ac-86u as nodes , all 3 devices running 386.3_2 firmware

i have aimesh issues, so now i want to try stock firmware ... gonna first change my 2 nodes to stock, i keep the 386 baseline for those
if still issues, i want to run stock on my main router too, ...

if i upgrade to stock, factory reset afterwards, can i use then the same config file from merlin? or do i need to start from scratch?

thnx

why? if you set them as nodes what config you want to put there?
if you set router mode to node it will reboot and then just connect via AiMesh to main router - nodes are just slaves zero setting there :)

if you upgrade your main router from RMerlin to AsusWRT you should not load config back

but a lot people are doing like you want main router as RMerlin and nodes with AsusWRT

yeah , why is that? why stock on node and merlin on main? why not merlin on node too?

i dont want to copy config on nodes...
i just want to use the cfg file , if in revert the main router from merlin to stock ..., but thats not possible?? why is that? is there some special setting in it?

there a a lot differences between RMerlin and AsusWRT

why leave RMerlin on main router because of it improvement and amtm - because it is much better than AsusWRT

why AsusWRT on nodes - for some "not from this world" reason looks like node as AsusWRT are in same situations easier to connect to AiMesh

if you upgrade your main router from RMerlin to AsusWRT you should not load config back
@Pergola Fabio To be even clearer, ONLY use your back config file for the specific version of firmware and device you made it on. I have written a script document for myseld to more easily reconfig my devices from a clean upgrade.

You are not clear on exactly what your AIMesh issue is. If you get this message "Unable to add your AiMesh node" then see this post.

I suggest the same firmware (version) on both main and AiMesh nodes.

RMerlin firmware on router and nodes is stable. It also ensures that the version of AiMesh is the same between the equipment.

If you use RMerlin firmware, do it throughout your network. If you use stock, do the same.

Mixing them is a good way to see gremlins that will most likely be unsolvable.

You can flash the Asus firmware over the Merlin firmware on your nodes and the nodes will reconnect afterwards. However, I would remove the nodes from the mesh, which will factory reset them, and add them back into the mesh. I have done this several times with my AC86U node. Currently running the node

Ideally, yes.

But I've seen many times when an additional WPS reset (or two +) is required for stable node operation.

seems WPS hard reset didnt work, strange
i press WPS button, then turn off when power led goes off, but power led stays off forever, it never does a hard reset

anwyay, did the normal hard reset with the reset button, that worked

Maybe there is a small language barrier here.
  1. Turn off the router
  2. Hold the WPS
  3. Turn ON the router while still holding the WPS button.
  4. Release the WPS button when the power LED is flashing

yeah, did that
when turning it on, while holing WPS, evetually the power goes off, never flashes, and it stays off
the only lights were the lan cables that were connected, no other lights

resetting with the reset button with 10-15 sec, that worked

I suggest the same firmware (version) on both main and AiMesh nodes.

RMerlin firmware on router and nodes is stable. It also ensures that the version of AiMesh is the same between the equipment.

If you use RMerlin firmware, do it throughout your network. If you use stock, do the same.

Mixing them is a good way to see gremlins that will most likely be unsolvable.

If this is true, why does RMerlin recommend running nodes on stock firmware?

Ask RMerlin, I have offered my experience and observations.