What's new

Using 1 x RT-AC68U as Router and 1 x RT-AC68U as Access Point issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sonderskov1980

New Around Here
Hi
I have just purchased 2 x ASUS RT-AC68U for creating a large wireless network in a house that simply kills wifi signals at short distances.

Therefore my intention is to use 1 AC68U as main Wifi router and 1 AC68U as an access point and have a LAN cable run between them.

I have set it up yesterday as follows:

Main router: IP: 192.168.1.1 as it was from factory
And I hope I have set the DHCP range to run from 192.168.1.3 and up to the limit of 192.168.1.254 or something like that.
put in a static IP reserved to the Access point router and added the MAC address of the access point also
SSID - 2.4: test
SSID - 5: test_5GHZ

Access point router: Ip changed to 192.168.1.2
selected mode Access point on router
SSID - 2.4: test
SSID - 5: test_5GHZ

For both router and access point I have selected appropriate different channels found by using wifi analyzer on my mobile phone and updated both to newest firmware from ASUS.

NOW to my issued and questions
  1. The AC68U has many safety options and all sort of features. However if my main concern is performance and of course also ensure the wifi is safe what should I precisely set on as features on the router and what is not necessary??
  2. Will the using of same SSID both for the router and access point give me issues when moving through the house or should I select different SSID to ensure that I know which router I am on and also ensure stability??
  3. After I selected the Access point option on my second router It was as if I could no longer go into the GUI on the Access point any more. I have thought a little about it and hope somebody in here can give me explicit instructions as to how I manually instead can configure the router to act as a access point but still can connect to the router acting as an access point and look at traffic etc. But please make the instructions explicit and detailed. The LAN ports on the access point need to be working when I am done.
  4. After I have set the system up it ran quite good for an hour but then suddenly all connections are lost and even my computer hardwired to the AC-68U acting as the router was disconnected from the internet and even thought the wifi SSID could be seen when scanning for network, none of them could be logged onto. I therefore shut down both router and access point and turned them on again and the system worked again for an hour when the same thing happened again. Am I having a firmware issue or what is going on?
This turned into a long post but hope somebody out there can help me with my problems.

the way you want and have the connected is perfectly fine and i run almost exactly the same setup here although i dont set the ip address of the access point and rather let the dhcp of the primary router set it for me , the access point will be issued an ip address that you can ether find in the client list of the router or by using the asus device discovery tool , letting the dhcp server set the ap's ip address also avoids ip conflicts which you may be getting by setting it as you have

as to the wifi roaming as long as the signals are not overlapping to much it should be fine but windows clients tend to hang on to a signal too long , where as i prefer to use different ssid names so i know which im connected to and switch manually if the signal gets low

Update:
After updating firmware on both router and AP they both seem to operate normally without disconnecting clients.

I have also changed SSID to individual names for router and AP just in case that was an issue.

After i updated the firmware i can now connect to the AP through my Router so that is all good as well.

My questions now is:
If we assume that Asus did not have that automatic feature to turn the router into an AP by simple select that option. What specifically should i change inside the router,other than tuning off DHCP, setting to accomplish the very same but with my total control doing it?
Are there any benefits to do it manually instead of using the build in AP coveret setting?

My last issue is that i tried to hardwire my tv to the AP but the tv keeps saying it have lost the connection and connected again.
Connecting wireless to AP gives no issue. Are there a feature i have forgotten to set on the AP to let the switch function work properly?

Best regards

My questions now is:
If we assume that Asus did not have that automatic feature to turn the router into an AP by simple select that option. What specifically should i change inside the router,other than tuning off DHCP, setting to accomplish the very same but with my total control doing it?

when you bypass the wan and thus the router there are a few important steps

first set the wifi

second set the lan ip address so its wont conflict with the primary router then reboot

third disable dhcp then reboot

last connect the ethernet from the primary router to a lan port and not the wan port

Are there any benefits to do it manually instead of using the build in AP coveret setting?

ap mode is always the best way to do it if the router has this feature plus you also still have 4 lan ports to use when in ap mode

ap mode is always the best way to do it if the router has this feature plus you also still have 4 lan ports to use when in ap mode
Interesting to know since some people apparently prefer to make a manual setting of their spare router into an access point instead of just using the built in feature to automatically do it for them. I just thought there was some sort of benefit to this.

Can anybody tell me a reason why the TV seems to have multiple cable loss / cable connected again issues when hardwiring a Ethernet cable to the router but no issues when just connecting the TV over Wifi??
The cable between my router and AP seems to be working correctly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!