What's new

Using a dsl-ac88u to extend my wireless query

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

p2user

New Around Here
I mistakenly brought a dsl-ac88u thinking it be the same as a rt-ax88u as they both ended with 88u, that will teach me to do my homework more. to cut a long story short, i've eventually got the router for around £50 which is a great price and i can still return it.

Since then i've brought a AC86U as it has a better processor and can have merlin installed since i wanted better open vpn performance too. I'm on cable internet so i setup AC86U as my main wireless router.

I know the dsl-ac88u does not have AI Mesh and i would like to extend my wifi coverage in the house. I configured a static IP outside the DHCP reduced scope on my AC86U, disabled DHCP and then configured the wireless settings to be the same as my AC86U. Then connected a cable from from the AC86U to DSL-AC88U one of the 4 network ports and not the WAN. It seemed to be working but i see clients showing either a dhcp or static IP from my client list. Have i done something wrong and is it worth doing or buying another ASUS router which is AI Mesh compatible instead?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and i'm a complete newbie wireless routers.

I mistakenly brought a dsl-ac88u thinking it be the same as a rt-ax88u as they both ended with 88u, that will teach me to do my homework more. to cut a long story short, i've eventually got the router for around £50 which is a great price and i can still return it.

Since then i've brought a AC86U as it has a better processor and can have merlin installed since i wanted better open vpn performance too. I'm on cable internet so i setup AC86U as my main wireless router.

I know the dsl-ac88u does not have AI Mesh and i would like to extend my wifi coverage in the house. I configured a static IP outside the DHCP reduced scope on my AC86U, disabled DHCP and then configured the wireless settings to be the same as my AC86U. Then connected a cable from from the AC86U to DSL-AC88U one of the 4 network ports and not the WAN. It seemed to be working but i see clients showing either a dhcp or static IP from my client list. Have i done something wrong and is it worth doing or buying another ASUS router which is AI Mesh compatible instead?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and i'm a complete newbie wireless routers.

Does the DSL-AC88U support wired AP Mode?

How much area are you trying to cover with WiFi?

A 2x86U wireless AiMesh works pretty well here.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!