What's new

Using a RT-AX86U with Instant Guard crashes the router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wm1716

New Around Here
Trying to use Instant Guard on a RT-AX86U. I have one Android client with Instant Guard and it connects fine and works for a while but it crashes if I stream videos or music. Doing a speed test does it too.

When it happens I notice that download speeds start out with an appropriate 200+ Mbps but it slides down to 50 Mbps then the connection drops as the router reboots.

I've tried it with v3.0.0.4.386.49599 and v9.0.0.4.388.20477 (beta). OpenVPN and Wire Guard (beta) seem to work fine. I tried using a No-IP DDNS instead of the Asus.com but it still happens. I've tried contacting Asus support but it's been weeks with poor responses.

It feels more like a FW problem than hardware but it seems like other people would be seeing this too. Have done a factory reset and it still happens.

Anyone else having issues like this?

No idea what IG is but, the symptoms sound like bad coding and it's leaking / bloating using the Asus HW.

Swapping the FW won't fix a bad app though.

Trying to use Instant Guard on a RT-AX86U. I have one Android client with Instant Guard and it connects fine and works for a while but it crashes if I stream videos or music. Doing a speed test does it too.

When it happens I notice that download speeds start out with an appropriate 200+ Mbps but it slides down to 50 Mbps then the connection drops as the router reboots.

I've tried it with v3.0.0.4.386.49599 and v9.0.0.4.388.20477 (beta). OpenVPN and Wire Guard (beta) seem to work fine. I tried using a No-IP DDNS instead of the Asus.com but it still happens. I've tried contacting Asus support but it's been weeks with poor responses.

It feels more like a FW problem than hardware but it seems like other people would be seeing this too. Have done a factory reset and it still happens.

Anyone else having issues like this?
I have had no issues with Instant Guard on either of the Asus firmwares you mentioned. Have also used both of the DDNS services you have tried. Have to admit my bandwidth is not as high as yours and I don't stream movies. Have you tried Wireguard on the beta? The Android app is simple to use and you can run Instant Guard and Wireguard server at the same time on the router. Connect to one at a time on your Android....

I have had no issues with Instant Guard on either of the Asus firmwares you mentioned. Have also used both of the DDNS services you have tried. Have to admit my bandwidth is not as high as yours and I don't stream movies. Have you tried Wireguard on the beta? The Android app is simple to use and you can run Instant Guard and Wireguard server at the same time on the router. Connect to one at a time on your Android....
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I have tried wire guard beta and it works fine. OpenVPN is fine too. Btw, I don't need to stream movies to get it to happen. It'll happen with TikTok. I agree with Tech Junky - seems like bad code. I don't NEED Instant Guard but it's cool and I'd like it to work. I'll keep working with support and post something here if I find any more information.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!