What's new

Using AdGuard as the default DNS server, is it safe to disable my browser Ad Blocker?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, you can set specific DNS settings for each device in the DHCP static list. For instance, I use Cloudflare for most devices on my network, but AdGuard for mobiles, like this:
Screenshot - 04_08_2023 , 19_00_26.png

Ok i'll ask .. does the free, turning on AdGuard for all DNS in the stock asus firmare, allow for exception list on the router?

Not that I know of. Pretty sure you'd have to run Adguard home for that or a paid DNS service where you'd manage it via their site.

Assuming you mean exceptions for specific sites. You can choose what computers use what DNS with stock Adguard free via the router.

Ok i'll ask .. does the free, turning on AdGuard for all DNS in the stock asus firmare, allow for exception list on the router?

No, exception list on the router won't work. The filtering is done upstream.

I've been using the free AdGuard DNS servers on my 86U. Thanks to this thread I went to the web site and realized that I can indeed create my own exceptions, even with a free account.

By the way OpenDNS is now filtering advertisements pretty efficiently in user selected categories with free account. It wasn't working before, but it works now and shows blocked domains. I have one Cisco system using OpenDNS upstream and noticed recently no ads are displayed with no browser extension. One requirement is no IPv6 in use because there is no custom categories option with IPv6.

Example from the OpenDNS control panel:

View attachment 52054

It destroys Web pages as expected though. Blank fields and squares everywhere the ads supposed to be.
It also stops some apps from working (two speed testing apps on my Android device would no longer work when I tried the OpenDNS ad-blocking option).

Free apps perhaps ads supported. The same will happen with any other ad blocker.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!