What's new

Using AiMesh + Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkgiants

Occasional Visitor
I wanted to ask if there are optimal settings to use when using both AiMesh and a separate Access Point. I set up a new AP as I needed a stronger wireless signal in a particular area of my home and I ended up recycling an old router I had that is non-ASUS (it is a TP-Link model). My current setup is as follows:

• ASUS RT-AC68U - Router (Main AiMesh Node)
  • ASUS RT-AC68U - AiMesh Node
  • TP-Link Access Point
I saw under the Wireless tab in Merlin the "WDS" option (Wireless Distribution System). I am not sure if there is any configurations I should do here to make this Access Point work efficiently with my current AiMesh system? Are there other settings and optimizations I should implement to make this entire system work? Ideally, I'd rather just setup another AiMesh node, but I don't want to buy more hardware since I had a very capable Access Point that was just collecting dust (it is an AC1750 model).

You cannot use WPA and WPA2 encryption on WDS on Asuswrt, which will cause many problems.

My suggestion is to use Ethernet to connect TP to ASUS, or use wireless bridging, if TP supports this feature.

I wanted to ask if there are optimal settings to use when using both AiMesh and a separate Access Point. I set up a new AP as I needed a stronger wireless signal in a particular area of my home and I ended up recycling an old router I had that is non-ASUS (it is a TP-Link model). My current setup is as follows:

• ASUS RT-AC68U - Router (Main AiMesh Node)
  • ASUS RT-AC68U - AiMesh Node
  • TP-Link Access Point
I saw under the Wireless tab in Merlin the "WDS" option (Wireless Distribution System). I am not sure if there is any configurations I should do here to make this Access Point work efficiently with my current AiMesh system? Are there other settings and optimizations I should implement to make this entire system work? Ideally, I'd rather just setup another AiMesh node, but I don't want to buy more hardware since I had a very capable Access Point that was just collecting dust (it is an AC1750 model).

Set the wired TP-Link AP to use the same AiMesh SSID-24 and SSID-50, and to use different, non-overlapping channels from the AiMesh. Otherwise, set the wireless TP-Link Repeater similarly.

Maybe your wireless clients will cooperate. But I doubt it.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!