What's new

Using an old router as a WAP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Norcross

Occasional Visitor
I recently upgraded my home setup, due to upgrading my actual home. My "geek" lair is now in the attic, with my router, switch, servers, personal PC, etc. We use laptops and a Media Center PC downstairs.

I purchased the Linksys "Business Class" wireless N router and 10/100 switch for the new setup, and everything is working just peachy.

I still have my old Netgear WGT-624 108 mps G router at my disposal. I know I can create a WAP if I actually plug it in, however, is there a way to configure it to serve as a WAP without having a main line into the router? I'd like to plug it in to the corner of the house, so it'll bounce the signal to the backyard.

(Since it's an old router, I have no issue or problem reflashing it with some other firmware, hacking it up, etc)

Say your Linksys router is 192.168.1.1
Take your old Netgear..assign it a LAN IP in the same range...up in the non DHCP pool range...a standard AP IP that I use is .245 or 253....so say the Netgear is 192.168.1.245

Disable DHCP on the Netgear

Uplink the Netgear to your Linksys..using a LAN port on each of them. You will not use the WAN port of the Netgear.

Done! Can manage it through your browser at the new IP address.

Not entirely sure what you mean by not having to 'plug it in to the main line', but yes, this is possible. Assign the device an address on your network that's not taken (for example, 192.168.x.2), and simply disable the DHCP server. With all other wireless settings in place, this essentially turns it into a WirelessAP/switch. You just plug it into your network through any of the PC/switch ports. It now works like any other switch / AP.

You shouldn't need to change any other settings on it. You might want to fiddle around with wireless settings and channels so the 2 wireless networks play nicely together.

Keep in mind Windows isn't terribly great at floating between access points even if the signal strength is better on one then the other, so if you're moving from the attic to the backyard, don't necessarily expect a smooth transition from one AP to the other.

Last edited:
RE: Old router as a WAP

Not entirely sure what you mean by not having to 'plug it in to the main line', but yes, this is possible.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know I can use the old router as a WAP if I have a ethernet cable going from a port in the new router into the old router. What I want to be able to do (and I know it may not be possible) is to configure the old router, then plug it into a wall outlet somewhere and have it repeat the signal without having to be physically connected to the new router.

I think what I am looking to do is not make a WAP, per se, but a signal repeater.

Ahhh, ok. Right, you're looking for a repeater.

Standard plain-jane firmware won't do this, but there's various after-market FW's that can. Do some googling for "WGT-624 firmware" and you'll find a few. I'm pretty sure OpenWRT supports the WGT-624. I don't have much experience with netgear, but I've seen and heard of this dont a lot on many other types of routers like the WRT54G. DD-WRT and Tomato have all sorts of neato features.

Most alternative firmware is for routers using a Broadcom CPU. The WGT624 uses an Atheros CPU and isn't supported by DD-WRT and so probably not Tomato, either.

At any rate, converting the WGT624 to a repeater will work only if the "Linksys "Business Class" wireless N router and 10/100 switch" (which model,BTW?) supports bridging and repeating. None of the Linksys draft 11n routers support it.

Sorry, I don't understand your question. I was asking you which Linksys model router you have.

Most alternative firmware is for routers using a Broadcom CPU. The WGT624 uses an Atheros CPU and isn't supported by DD-WRT and so probably not Tomato, either.

At any rate, converting the WGT624 to a repeater will work only if the "Linksys "Business Class" wireless N router and 10/100 switch" (which model,BTW?) supports bridging and repeating. None of the Linksys draft 11n routers support it.

Below is the hardware I'm running now.

Linksys - 24-Port 10/100 Ethernet Switch
Model: SR224

Linksys - Wireless-N Wireless Gigabit Router with 4-Port Switch
Model: WRVS4400N

And here is the current layout of the network:

Internet -> Modem -> Wireless Router -> Wireless signal
-> Switch -> Server

Thanks. Nope, the WRVS4400N does not support bridging/repeating.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!